National Insignias - digital

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Texman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

Hey folks,

Needing a little help again. Looking for some websites that show the national insignias used on aircraft. Doing some repaints, and need some
    relatively high quality insignia.

Thanks

Ray
  2. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Be careful using 'off the shelf' national markings. I am only really familiar with RAF and FAA roundels, but I know there are hundreds of variations on proportions, colours, locations, sizes etc, let alone local modifications, mistakes in application and so on! No doubt the same holds true for all other nationalities. Horrible mistakes I have seen include post-1946 proportioned, and coloured, roundels on pre-1st World War aircraft; small fin flashes on rudders, roundels in completetly the wrong places. Similar mistakes I have seen with American markings include the points of the stars pointing the wrong way, the red centre dot on the pre-war marking touching the inner points of the stars (it should be tangential to the point to point lines), red centre bars on wartime types, and so it goes on and on.

I know some modellers get completely obsessive about this sort of thing, but please try and avoid this sort of horrible clanger! Most national markings are very simple geometry so are VERY easy to make up yourself. I have a coreldraw file somewhere with all the standard RAF/FAA roundel and fin flashes, if anyone wants a copy.

And then there are all the lettering styles to consider.... PLEASE don't use Arial!!!! On ANYTHING!!!!!

Tim P
  4. 46rob

46rob Member

Fiddler's Green has a page of WW2 Nati'l insignias for download.
  5. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks ya'll, but I do have those. I am needing modern national insignias. Any ideas there?

Ray
  6. Texman

Texman Guest

I will learn this new system!

Ray
  7. 46rob

46rob Member

If you have specific needs--maybe some of the folks out there have the particular ones you're looking for.
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Modern RAF and Fleet Air Arm I can do, no problem. I have done some current USAF markings (the black outline ones) as well as the standard stars and bars, wartime single stars and pre-war stars with the red centre dot. You are going to have to give me a bit more info if the requirement is beyond that!

I used to do artwork for waterslide decals, customers included Welsh Models, Aeroclub Models, Accurate Armour as well as my own PP Aeroparts kits. It is amazing how the 'library' of useful images grows over the years!

Tim P
  9. k5083

k5083 Member

I think you will find that most buffs specialize in one or a few countries. I could help you with Canada, but not much else. Sources that contain insignia for many different nations are generally not to be trusted, whether in print or online, because their compilers cannot have done the extensive research necessary to get the insignia construction and colors right. Let alone the correct sizes and positions of the insignia on each type of aircraft. If you are specific about what you need, you'll stand a better chance of getting help.

August
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

11. k5083

k5083 Member

And I'll give you some more unwanted advice: Don't use the Canadian insignia from that site. They're wrong. And I think I see errors in most of the other nations' insignia that I know a little about.

The only things on that site that I can recommend are the RAF and "RCAF" fonts on the fonts page, because I designed them. Note however that what it calls my "RCAF" font is really intended for Royal Canadian Navy aircraft. I have also done a real RCAF font, but that website did not see fit to use it.

August
  12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Er, Gil, thats EXACTLY the sort of stuff K5083 and I were warning Tex against!! There are some nice SPECIFIC markings on that site, (although they are designed for flight sim models, so quite low resolution and would not stand close examination or enlargement) but don't think that they will apply to every type of aircraft. Like I said, I only know about the RAF stuff in any detail, but there are dozens of other styles that might be appropriate than those shown on that site, and there is no information about sizes or locations. Simply splatting the prettiest-looking roundel anywhere that 'looks good' might suit some models, and modellers, but I don't think that would include many who frequent this site!

So Tex, what is it that you want EXACTLY, and I am sure the collective knowledge straining at the leash of cardmodels.net will reward you with EXACTLY what you need!

Tim P
  13. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

One other place you might want to check is the internet for Decals. I am working on the B-1B. I found a set of Decals for $15.00 from Fox
    One that had the Grand Forks Decals that I needed. It also comes with a placement and color chart. Not bad for the price. I just used my scanner to scan in the decals. This way I have them when I want them. Since it has all 5 bases, that would be 5 B-1B. -- Not going to Happen --
  14. Texman

Texman Guest

Thanks again. I am actually working on a series of mig-21's. So, most of the
    insignias are of some lesser modeled countries, i.e. Cuba, Angola, etc.

Ray
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Like I said, I only know a bit about Brit stuff, and I only know that because I did the research! If I wanted to know more about other airforces insignia to the same level, I'd have to do the equivilent research!

I know nothing about Angola, but I bet these guys could point you in the right direction!

http://www.bartoli.com/safo/

But best of all, get to look at a REAL one...

http://www.mig-21.de/Bilder/Angola_1.jpg

Failing that, it is back to slogging through books, magazines (remember them?) and MAYBE the Interweb thingy. Or dropping your local Angolan Embassy a line....

Tim P