Narrow Gauge in steel mills

Don_csx

Hello, I'm modeling a steel mill in HO scale. I want to model part of the narrow gauge line that will serve it along with a standard gauge line. I really don't know hardly any thing about narrow gauge so I need a little help getting started. Below are a few pictures of some of the locomotives I want to model. Would any one here know was gauge these locomotives are and what gauge in HO scale they would be. I was told that HOn3 would work and also told I could use HOn30. Whats the difference?

Thanks for any help

Donald

Bethlehem Steel Mill, Buffalo, New York
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=69644&nseq=33

CNJ shop complex, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=164062&nseq=7

Bethlehem Steel Mill, Pennsylvania
http://www.johnsmurray.com/photo100727.html

N

nachoman

Very cool. I'd recommend HOn30, as you can put new uperstructures atop N-scale diesels and use N-scale track. If you want to use HOn3, you can use the Grandt line 23-ton GE endcab, or try converting a Keystone GE44 ton into HOn3 (the bachmann ones don't convert as easily) I have also been told the athearn Hustler will convert to HOn3 realatively easily. Those wouldbe the easiest options. Of course, you won't have an exact model of the locomotives in the photos, but it will be narrow gauge, and a diesel, and capture the same feel as the locos in the photos.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Donald,
First, welcome to the-gauge!
The photos are cool, and if you are going to model a steel mill, there probably won't be much time for modeling locomotives, so Nachoman's suggestions are, for now, at least, the best way to go.
I was told that HOn3 would work and also told I could use HOn30. Whats the difference?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Well sir, 'bout six inches. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Grandt Line kit takes a bit of building, and tweaking to get it running well.
The Hustler, starts with an "overwide" hood, and would look a bit strange in 3' gauge.....still, there's a fine line between "strange", and "unique", so it is a good "possible".
The cost of HOn3, as opposed to that of the more widely available N, makes HOn30 a viable option. 30" gauge equipment is only slightly smaller that 3' gauge equipment, so most of your rolling stock would have to be either HOn3, with N scale trucks, or heavily kitbashed HO ( you could actually pick up "trainset" pieces, and cut them down, fairly inexpensively, for both 3', and/or 30" gauge ).

HO King

Woooow that mill is what I would like mine to turn out to be.
In your picture of your ore yard there is I think a shovel track and a live bottom vehicle.Is there a company I can buy these from or did you scratch build them? I saw a shovel or ( Bucket ) track by the company Sword but it was pretty expensive.

Pooh Bah
HOn3 is scale modelling of 36" gauge railroads. HOn30 is narrow gauge modelling using N gauge track and mechanisms.
Usually HOn3 are limited edition models in the brass range or the equivalent in kits. HOn30 are less costly because they use mass-produced mechanical bits but there is the problem (as some see it) that 30" gauge was less common. However steel mills internal railroads could be anything they liked.

Don_csx

Thanks for everyone's help so far on this subject. To answer HO King question. The shovel is a Lionel O scale model that has had some work done on it and the bottom dump truck was scratch with a Sansui Caterpillar 777 dump truck with dump body removed and new handrails added. Dump trailer is modeled after a Terex 34-11C which was completely scratch built.

Donald

HO King

Thanks for everyone's help so far on this subject. To answer HO King question. The shovel is a Lionel O scale model that has had some work done on it and the bottom dump truck was scratch with a Sansui Caterpillar 777 dump truck with dump body removed and new handrails added. Dump trailer is modeled after a Terex 34-11C which was completely scratch built.

Donald
Thankyou very much and again good job:thumb: