Name and location

screen

Aug 18, 2005
Sterling, Illinois
This is a friendly and family site with a passion for trains and good will!
I prefaced what I want to say with that statement because of the Statement that is to follow!

I don't understand why anyone who posts don't have their name and location in their profile? You don't have to have your last name but a first would seem friendlier and as for location, you don't have to say for an example Sterling, IL. but northern IL. or along the C&NW in IL. or on the banks of the Rock River in IL.. - How can you answer a question or how can you ask a question if we don't know what part of the world the poster is from? Wherever you go be it down under or in the highlands customs and conditions are different - If I know where your from it helps me to give a better answer or not answer at all -

Please everyone upgrade their profiles and put something that would relate to where you are from - don't tell me it is for safety reasons cause as in my example along the Rock River in IL. covers almost 300 miles but I get the general location and I know where your comming from with your question or answer -

Location should be a required field in everyones profile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
screen said:
This is a friendly and family site with a passion for trains and good will!
I prefaced what I want to say with that statement because of the Statement that is to follow!

I don't understand why anyone who posts don't have their name and location in their profile? You don't have to have your last name but a first would seem friendlier and as for location, you don't have to say for an example Sterling, IL. but northern IL. or along the C&NW in IL. or on the banks of the Rock River in IL.. - How can you answer a question or how can you ask a question if we don't know what part of the world the poster is from? Wherever you go be it down under or in the highlands customs and conditions are different - If I know where your from it helps me to give a better answer or not answer at all -

Please everyone upgrade their profiles and put something that would relate to where you are from - don't tell me it is for safety reasons cause as in my example along the Rock River in IL. covers almost 300 miles but I get the general location and I know where your comming from with your question or answer -

Location should be a required field in everyones profile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must not have seen this :) In Links :)

http://www.the-gauge.com/thread12746-all-members--)--gauge-members-location-map.html

A map of all of us Regular posters to The gauge :)

Just follow the directions :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks for bring that up Mikey, I had forgot completly about that, and I know I never posted my location there. But, on the other hand, I can't see how anyone can not tell where I'm from though, so maybe I'll wait a bit longer.:D :D :D :D

As far as posting a name and location for everyone, I'd like to see that, but it's their choice, and if the info isn't there and I think it's important, I ask. It usually has no bearing on a discussion, well, except if someone asks where they can find something, it's good to know where they are, and it's nice to know if there are other Gaugers in your area.:wave: :wave:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Bingo, screen! Or... er... Perhaps only 50% Bingo... :confused:

screen, you're right about displaying at least the approximate position on the globe below your avatar at the left.
I already wondered many times, how somebody could ask a question here at the Gauge like 'Where can I get this thingamabob as cheap as possible?', and then you have no clue if he lives in the USA, Canada, Australia or just East of Katmandu.

But like cidchase pointed out - keeping one's name back isn't so bad in my eyes, too. Take my case: Apart from me, there is only one single other guy with my name in Switzerland. And therefore I am very easy to find. I know from experience!. Once I wrote a somewhat critical article in a modeling magazine, signed with my name. And then I got quite a bunch of nasty letters and even nastier phones at midnight! :eek: :curse: That's why I can understand, if somebody chooses a different login name.

Of course, if you leave your name out, it's more user friendly to use a nickname which can be typed without breaking your fingers. Names like 'RailRon', 'cidchase' and 'screen' surely are easier to type than 'PRx_77_a5Q' :D :D :D

Ron

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
You know, I do like to see a location, I do not mean address telephone # and birth :D certificate :D
But the area main City? and I aways like a name in the signiture.

The Map is good but for instant posting and an idea of area is better.

That`s my 2 cents worth :D And it`s worth a $ :D :rolleyes: :p

btw most who have posted here do show the info suggested

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
interurban said:
btw most who have posted here do show the info suggested
werd.gif

screen

Aug 18, 2005
Sterling, Illinois
Mikey - No I didn't see the link as I am new to the Gauge but will look into it!
cidchase - Names Bruce but it's in my profile - as you see from my post I do see where people have reasons for not using their real name like RailRon and that is why we use screen names - So in essence everyone has shown their name - Screen is because I am a screenprinter!
But I still don't understand why everyone can't show a location - I for one would like to know if that someone is from the midwest, Canada, or accross the pond - I see a lot of posting by those outside the USA and think it's cool, when I see someone from my neck of the woods post it makes me feel like i'm not alone here in the midwest USA -
I am a member on a fishing board and I feel like it is family there - I also get that feeling here - you know, brotherhood and friendship - on these two boards you find people who will come to anothers aid with sweat, help or a prayer - you all would do anything for your fellow modeler but will also tell him when he or she is out of line or needs to stand corrected - that's family - that's The Gauge! It's safe here so I would just like to know if your next door in Chicago or down the block in Canada or accross town like RailRon in Switzerland -

Bruce

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
I know what your on about mate(screen) I am like Railron, only the other direction.
when I see some gauger ask a question I would like to try to answer it, but some times its unapropiate to place a post as the infro I could supply, would be of no value to some one in canada, or the states, and certinly not to someone east of katmandue. prices, LHS, ect would only aply to people in AUSTRALIA, and SYDNEY at that, but like most oze modelers I do buy from the states, and even england..(gee its good to have mates) and a location does help me decide weather to post a reply or not, I generaly accknowlage a new members post with : [I am sorry I cant help you with?????but welcome to the gauge ect ect...:] so I am with most of the gaugers here that would like a general location in the members profile.....well Bruce that was my 2c worth, I like to ramble when its costin me $0.02....HEHEHEHE...have a good one, steve

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
:confused: Wow, I didn't even realize that I didn't have my location indicated and I always like to see where others are from. Well, I fixed that.:thumb:

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
yellowlynn said:
Hey Steve (ausien), if you can ramble on that much for your .o2 cents, how much more would you do if you were PAID .02? Hehehe :D :D :D :D

Lynn
Lynn, if that is an offer, then for your money,,, I would give you volume, chapter and verse, and then I would through in question time as well..HEHEHE:D :D :D :D