Nakajima Ki-27b Nate

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shoki2000, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Few years ago, Answer published Ki-27 Nate in the Modele Kartonowego Fana series.
    Kit included two very similiar color schemes so being a complaining type, I put in writing my dissapointment. Later while talking to the publisher, he offered me cooperation in distribution of his kits in the US. Second offering was to be the Ki-27 but I suggested that we change the color schemes to something more interesting. This in turn resulted in the kit that was going to contain four models - two original camouflages, the one below and brown/green/dark green plane used in the Phillipines.
    All ties with the publisher were severed however when I was contacted by the designer of first model offered, P-61, who informed me that he was sole copyrights owner to the model and he never agreed to distribute it abroad....

Long story short, this resulted in creation of GreMir Models, P-61 is in our offer but the Ki-27 was lost.
    Since this camouflage was my idea, I own hard copy of the original kit and I paid for copy of this model I feel that is ok for me to show it.

About the kit - it is a simple model, but definietely not an easy one.
    There are fit problems but nothing that cannot be overcome with patience and a bit of surgery.
    1. Get rid of the ship-like framework to convert the kit to bulkhead/connecting strip method.
    2. Engine cowl parts are bit too small - get rid of connecting strips and do a butt joint, plus leave a bit of extra paper at the end to make sure the ring closes properly. Easy to mask with red color.
    3. Wing fillets - this is the biggest problem. It could be my error of course, but I had to perform a surgery on those parts to make them wrap around the fuselage and wing and ended up with a seem on top :oops:

To be continued....

Attached Files:

2. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Right view with the visible seam on the fillt...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks great Michael. You're right not too bad of fitting problems, I've had commercial kits sold with fittings problems worse than that. Are you saying you are going to release this kit as a download?
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Can't do. Answer owns copyrights to this model.
    Maybe Nobi will be interested in modyfing his Ki-27 and he can issue those two color schemes which I had planned for this kit (hint, hint :wink: )
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Thank you.

This plane really deserves much better design......
    The fourthcolor scheme was going to be Capt. Shironaga's from Phillipines

Attached Files:

6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Man, seeing your comment I knew it is not going to be easy and it wasn't...
    I'm not happy with the way this assembly is designed but is definetely buildable. Tomorrow I will try to make the wheels and the second leg...
    Progress for tonight:

Attached Files:

7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

And the general view...

Attached Files:

8. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Do you wear gloves when you build? that bird is clean enough to eat off of I can't spot a single mark on it, very well done.
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Gloves? Thats the ticket! Very clean build, looks great, excellant photography also.
  10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Awww shucks...:lol:

No, I don't use gloves but I would definietely consider them for the plane in bare metal.
    I'm planning to do the wheels cmdrted's method, will see how it goes since it will be my first time ever.
    For the next model I will attempt the thermaforming technique for the canopy...
  11. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Man, that's a sweet looking plane!

Rick
  12. Texman

Texman Guest

It is looking very nice. But I would be interested in the particulars of the photography side of it as well. Such as what settings etc your using on your camera, what you used for lighting, etc.

Ray
  13. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I know nothing about photography...
    I used combination of daylight and desk lamp, full auto mode, shot about 5 pics and used two after cropping desk clutter out.
  14. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Progress for today.
    Now on to the propeller......

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Very nice Michael, where did you get the pilot figure?
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Thank you for the kind words but there is a reason I don't do close-ups for this model...
    If anybody needs a chalenge, this is the model but you truly HAVE TO WANT to build it in order not to abandon the project at some point.....

For pilot figure info please check http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4402 :wink:
  17. Texman

Texman Guest

I can understand your sentiments Mike. Just looking at the kit, it looks pretty good, right up to the tail. That tail wheel looks terribly out of scale!

It is a nice clean build.
    Ray
  18. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Attached Files:

19. Clashster

Clashster Member

Beautiful!
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Very cool! Is the runway the GPM plates that they released a ways back?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.