N track suggestion , please

Harry

Feb 26, 2001
Hi, all,

I am planning to to become an N scaler but I need your help on picking track first.

First, I have to say that I am lazy(3 kids kept me busy enough...) but I like "quality" stuff. If I find something better, I would go out and replace almost everything...bad habbit

Ok, let me start. What is the best premade(no trail cutting required) track available? What code to choose? I am looking for smooth and quiet operation. Looking at train moving slowly is a enjoyable thing if it does not derail or making too much noise...

Enough question for today.
Thanks you for your help!

Harry

W

wt&c

I would say KATO"s Unitrack system is a fine choice (other opinions??) I have only been into N scale about 2 months, having come over from HO scale. I'm not the ones to ask these questions, but I'll answer as I know, if I don't know the answers, I'll make them up
wink.gif

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi Harry,
Sorry, I can't recommend ready made based on experience, I'm just starting myself, and I'm using flex track and Atlas snap track section with cork roadbed as it's what came along most available here abouts.
But I would suggest you check the hobby shops and train stores in your area to see what they carry and maybe you can connect with a local Nscaler or two.Go for the friendliest and most willing to help, rather than what they stock..you'll get more info, and they might order for you, if they don't stock what you decide on. That's been my experience , anyway.
I'm finding that there is quite a lot of variety on the market, but finding it in my three 'local' stores is another matter entirely.
Welcome to the gauge and best of luck with your track search.
Virginian
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 03-03-2001).]

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Harry and welcome to the gauge.
As far as track for N-scale goes I would say that Peco make the best track and Points (Turnouts) they have both standard N-scale and Finescale N-scale. The finescale is code 55 and the best track I have ever worked with. I was into N-scale for many years, now into HO logging.Apart from the track being good, you can also add the Peco PL10 point motor onto the point(turnout) ready for later on when your control panel is made.
You can of course use the Kato track which I believe has a simulated ballast, but for me, it doesn't quite look right. I would prefer to ballast the track whatever scale myself.
Hope this is of some use to you, My friend CATT is the mod for N, and I am sure he will guide you in the right direction.
have fun.

C

Catt

Harry,if your looking for the easyiest track to use with smooth operation in mind I would have to say that the KATO Uni-track is the way to go.This stuff is very expensive but they have a large amount of track sets and individual pieces to chose from.
My personal choice is to use flex track,but that is not for beginners.

------------------
Catt! NARA#1 & A freelancer for life

BobMcD

Dec 27, 2000
Boston MA, USA
Visit site
Harry,

If you're in the US, the KATO Unitrack is an excellent choice, widely available and of fine quality. I'm not an N-gauger, but I've seen folks who've used Unitrack get excellent results quickly. I'd recommend trying a small project with some of it, and I expect you'll be pleased with it.

If you're outside the US, the choices may be different, and you might do best to consult a local hobby shop, if there are any.

Let us know how it goes.

Bob

Art Lamb

Jan 4, 2001
Plymouth, MA
Visit site
KATO"s Unitrack system is really nice but very expensive. I use it for temporary layouts and as a test track, but would not use it for a regular layout.

We use Atlas Flex Track, but it can be a bear to learn to get it correct. It is not really hard but makes you pay attention to detail.

Anyway I hope what ever you do you have fun.
Art

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
First of all Harry, if you want quality, I think flex track beats sectional hands down in appearance & operation. There's too many rail joints in sectional track. The more rail joints you have, the more likly it is that Murphy's Law is going to rule your railroad.
But since you're a beginer, allow me to make a suggestion - start with the Atlas sectional track called Snap-Track. (It's the kind without the pre-formed roadbed) Snap-Track is compatable with the Atlas & Peco flex track & turnouts, so you could graduate to flex track without having to rip up your whole layout.