N scaler painting G scale.....

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
This is a paint job I did for my brother. UNFORTUNATELY he is in to G scale.

Here is a before and after picture. The first one I painted 6 years ago.
Picture%20184.jpg

And this one I finished today
Picture%20191.jpg

Cheers

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
note the removal of the horns (with a 3 chime horn going in when I find one) and the change of location of the number boards. Ive never had to fill in such big holes before. Thank god for putty.

Picture%20183.jpg

The strips on the nose and back were made by cutting masking tape to 4.5 mm strips and laying them on. The front was easy, but the back was a different story

Picture%20187.jpg

On the back of the loco, I made the silly mistake of first painting with black, then masking, then painting with White, then drybrushing with black. I have 3 more of these locos to paint for my brother, 2 A's and a B, so I will hopefully learn from my mistakes.

The time needed for this paint job/detail work was 9 hours. But I think it looks good

I painted with Testors Flat red spray paint. I just didnt have access to a car airbrush.

If you have any ideas or helpful thoughts, let me know. As well I have an SD40-2 and a GP-9 comming to be painted. Thank God that the dry-tranfer sets have the proper stripes for these. No masking.!

Cheers

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
Here is the Sd40-2 after reapaint. It came as an Amtrak.

The modifications done are:
-moved headlight from cab to nose
-added bell to cab
-added anticlimber
-modified handrails to work with anticlimber
-added ditchlights and rewired original headlights to work with ditchlights
-added 3 sinclair ants.
-removed improper mouldings on cab
-removed lights from rear of unit, replaced with single Pyle light
r22307.jpg

cp5870.jpg

Picture%20198.jpg

Picture%20196.jpg

The plow that came with the unit is not worth putting on. I will install a new pilot when I find a suitable one.

Cheers

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
WOW, that is one big SD40-2! It looks really good Dave, as always! Do you have a layout to run those on? What kind of radius would that need? ( I bet 18" wouldn't cut it!)

nscalesteve

Apr 27, 2003
New Zealand
www.nscalecorner.com
David...
...your CP Rail engine looks awesome and "BIG", my G-scale SD40-2 looks still as I bought it for a very low price on eBay...

amtk.jpg

...and I like to make a CP engine too :D :D

are the details parts from Eric ? (Miniatures by Eric ?) if so, do you may can give me the part numbers of the bell, the ditchlights, the anticlimber and all the other parts, thank you...

...btw, your idea with the Kaslo Shops SD60F shell and the Atlas 3-windows cab was great (psssst, I have two on my workbench now...)

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
David went on holidays for a week, he should be back by Wednesday, I think! But I will answer for him in the mean time, he is a great painter and detailer! ( is that a word?)

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
Nscalesteve...I would be happy to lend a hand, but I just got in from my vacation and if the 'spirit' moves me, I will look up thoes Min By E numbers for ya tomorrow.

FYI...IMHO, USA trains is not as well made as an Aristo product. I found the wiring job done at the factory to be sub par and difficult to work with. Had to remove a TON of screws, and the screws ARE NOT STANDARDIZED. A lot of the mouldings will only 'snap' off and reapplication will require a little imagination.

Best of luck on your project. (IT ONLY TOOK ME 12 HOURS from start to finish---aarg---im a REALLY GOOD brother). I did it for free.

Cheers

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Very nice, Dave!
If I had one to do, It'd become BN 8002.. The Tigerstriped unit. The ONLY SD40-2 to get tigerstripes. I am unsure why the scheme only lasted till '89, when the 8002 once again hit the paint shop, this time emerging with a Whiteface.