N Scale Yard Plan........Help!!!!!!

beegee

I'm in need of a design for a yard for my new layout. The base is already built and these are the dimensions: 8 ft long X 16" wide and this joins a section that is 5ft 6in long X 10" wide leading to a 3 ft square corner module. I have 10 Peco Right Short Radius switches and 5 Peco Left Short Radius switches along with 75 ft of Peco Code 80 Flextrack to use on this section of the layout. More track could be purchased if necessary. I'd like to have the distance between track centers at about 1 1/4" so big fingers could get at the cars. The yard will be for storing and moving cars to make trains up and eventually I'd like to cover the yard to keep dust off the rolling stock. I can build like the devil but my problem is I can't design worth a hoot so I need help at this. The whole new layout will be a DCC type and the switches will be powered. Anyone out there that enjoys designing can send their plans to me by the forum here or at beegee@shaw.ca . Any help would be greatly appreciated. A photo of the yard is shown at http://community.webshots.com/userchooch261 and it the last photo in the group, north wall-yard area. Thanks, Bob:)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Welcome to the Gauge Bob. Unfortunately I couldn't get to see your photos because a screen from webshots came up saying your photos had been moved. Will try again later

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I also tried to access your link, but webshots said it was moved and no longer available. When I put "userchooch261" into the search engine, it also came up blank. Kalmbach has come out with a new book on yards and engine facilities that you might check out. If it just going to be used as a staging yard, just do it double ended with as many tracks as will fit in the space. If it is to be a working yard as well, then you might not need it to be double ended, but will need some run around tracks to get locomotives behind cars.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I just found your webshots site off of the thread about mounting Peco switches to foam. You might want to edit your post at the top of this thread, you left out some "/" needed to access your site.

beegee

Hi Group, sorry about that missing link in the address above, it should be http://community.webshots.com/user/chooch261 .Thanks for the replies so far too, all the help is great. I like the idea of a run around track and I do want to use all of the available space for track. This yard and the throat leading to it will connect to a double mainline at the corner module running around the rest of the layout and I'll add towns and sidings as I want. I want to be able to send a train out on a run and not see it for a few minutes, the double mainline run will total about 110 ft in length. My present layout is a 6' x 3' with dual cab control in 18 blocks with 16 switches, this new layout is going to be DCC, I have a Lenz 90 bought already with decoders for about 20 engines. I've had the DCC going on the old layout and what a treat not to have to throw those toggle switches all the time. Thanks , Bob

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have an old book called Track Planning for Realistic Operation by John Armstrong that has a section on yards. You may find a copy of this in a library or for sale at a train show