N Scale Union Railroad

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I repainted the backdrop with a nicer blue, the added a grey horizon. I spray painted a cinnamom color, and will add more fall colors & details when holidays are over. The size is 11' x 10', DC, with 2 mainlines (single track over port perry bridge). Although the southbound mainline was ripped up in 1991, I am modeling the present with both mains, and original URR paint. 70% of the buildings are scratchbuilt from styrene.

This is looking at the Edgar Thomson works. The steel mill & rolling mill is walthers, but the large building and small office are all styrene, and modeled from photographs.

Attachments

• et1.jpg
    et1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 239

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
That's a good sky blue. So you're going with Fall colors? I've always liked layouts set in the Fall and have seen some nice effects. I see you like to tack photos of the prototype for inspiration near your model site..i do that to!
Ralph

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Southbound train

Caught a 4 unit southbound train heading onto the single track. The building in back is the former Union Railroad offices. The viaduct was filled in to handle the heavier tonnage. The road in view heads towards mckeesport & wal mart.

Attachments

• going to singletrack.jpg
    going to singletrack.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 233

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Larimer ave

Not the best neighborhood anymore. Larimer Ave in turtle creek, pa. The big imposing trestle stands quiet. Streetlight is scratchbuilt, as is the trestle.

Attachments

• larimer2.jpg
    larimer2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 230

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
RT 22 bridge in Monroeville

Heading north to Hall, Pa we duck under the rt 22. bridge between monroeville mall and circuit city. The enginehouse is barely visible in the back.

Attachments

• rt 22 bridge.jpg
    rt 22 bridge.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 224

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Sky view of monroeville

The bridge, and enginehouse are easily spotted from the sky. A lone MP 15 waits outside the shops. (shops 1/2 sized and halfway done).

Attachments

• monroeville.jpg
    monroeville.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 229

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Engine shops

halfway done. but you get the point. Building will be lit, as the doors are removable, and some interior will be visible. 100% scratchbuilt.

Attachments

• hall engineshops.jpg
    hall engineshops.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 225

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Universal pa

The main grade (2% north, 4% south in tunnel) takes us into Universal Pa, home of the long abandoned cement plant. The North Bessemer tunnel is still under construction, in a sea of pink foam and sculptamold.

Attachments

• universalinpink.jpg
    universalinpink.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 224

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
North Bessemer yard

Well, hard to call it a yard with only 4 tracks, but it'll due for now. 2 north bound, 2 southbound tracks above the town of North Bessemer (missing houses, I need lots of houses). I'm keeping this area in summer colors, too much work to change it to the fall.

Attachments

• north bess yard.jpg
    north bess yard.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 228

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Small size for depth

The town of Duquense (down street from Kennywood). Pizza hut is a small kit, and I scratchbuilt the Union's transportation office, and painted a z scale house. Rt 837 is made from wood and styrene

Attachments

• duquense rt 837.jpg
    duquense rt 837.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 223

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
4 MP 15s

4 MP 15s pull a southbound hopper train over fairview road underpass. #13 is still in factory applied green as it looked in 1987. I love Atlases MP 15s (have 5, need more!!!)

Attachments

• 4unitlashup.jpg
    4unitlashup.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 227

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Help make it better

Some things are obvious, but can you please give me advice on how to make this look GREAT?? I use tons of pics, and scratchbuilt things I can't finds similar kits. I'll probably keep this layout for many years, and want it to look it's best. any suggestions?