N scale Teepee

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by the gricer, Nov 12, 2012.

1. the gricer

the gricer New Member

Any one know if some one makes n scale teepees, has plans or has scratchbuilt one?
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

"N" scale Tee-Pee? Why not just make some cones on the end of a pencil and cut them down to size and throw some symbols on them. I don't think an "N" sale TeePee would be on the top of anyone's list, only because of the size, and TeePees come in all different kind of sizes.

This picture of a plains Indian TeePee from 1945 would serve as a great template for a model. It even shows you how to make it accurate. Color it up in paint, scale it down, and print out 400 at a time. :)

[​IMG]

p.s. Don't Download any models tell you have made 10 SUBSTANTIAL posts. Asking for something is not substantial. You can download this Teepee, that doesn't count.

Last time you posted was 2009. We are going to start closing inactive accounts so you might want to post a little more often, at least more than once every 3 years. :)
  3. Burning Beard

Burning Beard New Member

TePees come in a variety of sizes, so all you really have to do is scale it to the fit the size of an individual. I have seen them very small, like 12' (the 15' dimension on the drawing) up to 20'. All now are made of Canvas, and most to the one's you see in the old pictures are canvas also. The Plains Indians made them from canvas as soon as it came readily available from traders, quite often the Hudson Bay Company. They are much lighter than the hide tepees and easier to transport. Interesting enough, getting poles to set them up was a big problem and they were always transported when the tribe moved. The painting on the lodge was usually pretty specialized, with accepted symbols, and quite often done by one individual in the tribe. I have painted a couple in the past.

Beard
  4. Zathros

Zathros Guest

The physics behind TeePee (is it TePee?) are quite amazing. It gets really hot inside of the when there is a fire and the vent on topis almost like a choke on an exhaust pipe, controlling how hard the fire burns and it also keeps out the whether.
  5. Burning Beard

Burning Beard New Member

Other than putting them up and crawling through the door flap, they are a pretty ideal shelter. Most people are not very familiar with them, and just think they are a pointy tent. They have a liner inside that goes about half way and all the way to the ground, while the outside is just above ground level. This draws the air from the outside that allows the fire (in the center) to draft properly. You can control the smoke flaps by long poles on the outside to direct them out of the wind to keep the smoke and rain from blowing in. They are really quite efficient and can be toasty warm since you sleep near the fire. Also, in the summer you can roll the sides up and use it a shade shelter.

Beard
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Funny how a thread like this can really teach a good lesson. I was unaware of the side venting for controlling the fire's draft. That is some ingenious stuff. I remember seeing one similar to this. This guys lives in this ear round. It is an Apache TePee(SP?) and it kicks butt. This looks very comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]