N Scale Shay

silver

Sep 1, 2004
The model looks nice in this prototype shot. I assume it is out by now as this is an older post. Does anyone out there have this? I've not seen it yet. Does it only come as an oil burner? Is it a good runner? What are the stats?Sorry for so many questions. Just curious. N scale may be beating on my door.

Summit

May 12, 2003
Elko, NV
www.trainweb.org
As far as I know all the models are oil burners.

Atlas encountered some problems with the model binding up on sharper curves, and as a result the model was delayed for a long time. There was some news last week that the model finally shipped to retailers around the middle of last week.

Check out www.atlasrr.com, there are pictures of the various models available on that page.

Summit
Elko, NV

It was just released and is arriving in shops, though I haven't heard any reviews yet. I'm hoping it will pull a half-dozen empty 25' logging cars up a 6% grade. Early pre-production reports only showed it pulling cars on level grades with no traction tires which seems to defeat the purpose, in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong. I've got some steep grades up here in the pink foam mountains.

I'm glad it's an oil burner as wood & coal burners were regulated by the State due to hundreds of thousands of acres being burned in the Adirondacks in the early 1900s.

Wayne

silver

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks for the fast replies. Muddy Creek(Wayne), I guess that shows what happens when you assume..... I thought that with all the fuel around it would be tempting to use it. But I forgot what happens when you do.

I should know better. I was here in San Diego in 2003 for the big November fire. It burned an area bigger more than the whole state of Rhode Island. I used to live in Rhode Island so I know how big it is. They don't call it the "biggest little" for nothing. The area I discribe was entirely contained in San Diego County. California is huge. While it was going on it looked like a disaster movie outside, brown sky and ash. Still I saw idiots jogging and walking babies like it would help to ignore it, Work and school was canciled for a week. I stayed in my studio apt for a week and my asma (appology for creative spelling my brain is not working. I am on 6 week old baby time.) came back.

Moral is forest fires are bad and if you hear I am moving into the area, move away. I had also moved to NYC a few months before the twin towers came down. Bad things are following me.

Sorry for the tangent but I am intersted in what others think of the engine when they get it. Notice I didn't say "if they get it".

I think it was in 1916 that NY started to regulate the loco's fuel in the Adirondacks. They would issue an order sometime in the late Spring to stop burning wood or coal until the woods were out of danger later in the year. All the Emporium Shays were coal burners up 'till then so it made sense to convert them all to oil.

Coal could still be burned occasionally in the dry season but an inspector needed to follow 15 minutes behind to search for fires.

I had a brother-in-law who had disasters follow him whenever he took a vacation. One year the island he went to was leveled by a hurricane. The next year, Yellowstone Park burned. After that, we told him to stay home and we would visit him.

Wayne

Wayne