N Scale Scratchbuilt DPM Interior

FrankG

I've completed a scratchbuilt interior for an N scale men's clothing store that I've been working on. This was designed to fit inside of DPM's corner apothecary kit.

Here's how I've constructed it:

- The flooring of this interior is a small counter top sample of Formica freely available from most home improvement stores cut to size on a table saw
- The back wall of the shop (shown in photos) is simple sheet styrene cut of size.with a paint swatch (again home improvement store) glued to the front of it. The paint swatch adds a small texture to the wall and you really get a wide selection of prototypical wall colors to choose from.
- The inside wall of the structure (behind the big rack/shelf) has the same paint swatch glued direction inside the structure. This makes it much less critical for everything to be accurately aligned.
- To the back wall (shown) I added a doorway with curtain, a 1940s Stetson ad and a Kessler’s company sign. All three of these printed details I created in Photoshop.
- The door frame was cut from a piece in my scrap box. It was painted and the curtain attached behind it.
- The window displays are made from strip styrene and cut to a 45 degree angle with a Chopper II.
- The mannequins in the window are Woodland Scenic with the bottom of their legs removed. You can't tell the legs are cut down because the window displays sit just below the window's frame on the kit.
- The clothing rack/shelf is made from parts from an HO scale fire escape kit. The railings of the fire escape form the vertical pieces of the shelving unit. The rest of the vertical railings were cut away. The rest of the shelving unit is made from a simple styrene box with this railing piece glued to the front. Two strips were added to form the top molding and the horizontal shelf.
- A printout I created was added for the hanging suit jackets.
- Misc. detail from my scrap box was added to the top shelf.
- The potted plant was a tiny piece of kit sprue with green Woodland Scenics scenic material added to the top of it.
- The display table is just a basic table shape make from strip styrene. To the top of that, I added a print out of folded shirts and a small bit of plastic so the table to appeared more dimensional.
- The checkout counter is a block of styrene with a very thin styrene strip added to the top. I added a chunk of random black plastic to the top to represent a cash register and a small sign to the front of it.
- Behind the counter, I added a plastic N scale barrel with a silver jewelry bit from a craft store to the top.

I really wasn’t going for award-winning detail for this interior. Since the interior is difficult to see as a whole once in the structure, the idea was really to convey a lot going on with very little.

I have a ton of info about the building of this interior on my N scale model railroading blog: N Scale Modeling

Attachments

• ki2.jpg
    ki2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 152
  • ki3.jpg
    ki3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 149
  • ki5.jpg
    ki5.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 150
  • ki8.jpg
    ki8.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 150
That's pretty sweet. Love your site too, saw it the other day with your post about the signs for the shop. It's not hard to believe the LBP are getting their new duds there.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
That looks great! Your technique for creating neon signs in the windows is so clever yet simple too. Thanks for sharing.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Very nicely done! All great ideas for any scale. :thumb: :thumb:

I don't think I've seen a men's wear store with a 55 gallon drum behind the counter though... ;) :D

Andrew

BobGui

Now that is skill that gives me a goal to reach. :thumb: If you ever have any leftovers that you haven't got room for let me know.

FrankG

Thanks for the comments.

I used the barrel because it's far enough to the back of the store and is viewblocked by several things to really just look like a small round table.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I used the barrel because it's far enough to the back of the store and is viewblocked by several things to really just look like a small round table.

Cool...! Shame on me for not thinking outside the box, er... barrel ;) :D

Andrew