N scale railroading magazine

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
I have been getting it since the start, and I enjoy it.:) An N Scale mag by N Scalers for N Scalers.:cool:
It has great articles, layouts, tips and ideas and has been getting better all the time.:cool:
BTW, I also get N Scale magazine and generally find it to be a good mag as well.
Cheers!

Terry

C

Catt

IMHO N Scale Railroading is the best thing to ever happen to N Scale magazine.Now that Hundman has some competion "His" mag is getting better.

I buy both because they are N scale only ,and the only N scale mags there are.If I had to chose between them though I would pick N Scale Railroading. :D

I got to tell ya though that I'm getting tired of Hundman and his damn trees.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
I find, in my few issues of N Scale, that there's a preference to serious kitbashers,a nd hardcore modellers in N Scale. In NSR, I find that is is better suited to beginners, and shows off great layouts, in full color, unlike N scale, which is predominately b/w.
I have almost every issue of NSR since they came out. Does that say anything??

P.S. BOTH Magazines are wunderful!!! Resources-Resources-Resources! The various articles in the past few issues have been great, like laying Code 55 track, building a BNSF 'Tie Gang' train, or the CSX Utility truck - WOW! I also like the product info. Hundmans does lean more to the craftsman in us all, while the other tends to be less 'preachy', BUT, they both play off each other well. I am a little tired of the tree's too, BUT seeing those articles inspires me for my scenery - those tree's look awesome...

Well, this turned into a rah-rah post, didn't it? :eek:

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Originally posted by jeffsauer1957
He just keeps showing that picture of that BN SD40-2 with that nice clean (and unmodified) nose... what a fanatic!!!:D

As for N scale mag, I liked the tie gang train, and the pics of the BN Onyx Div. modular layout in Tacoma, WA.

Oh, you mean this one?? She sure is pretty.
Actually, it's an avatar.
Dcp_3163.jpg

the_great_snag

Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
I have to agree Hemi. That pic has my 2 favorite locomotives AND my 2 favorite paint schemes! I think I like the Heritage paint best though... It's the GN fan in me, I guess...

The SD40-2 rules though! I used to live in Staples, MN in the 80's, and I think I saw about 100 of 'em a day!

To think that back then my friends and I used to cuss the trains continually blocking the crossings in town... Them coal drags move mighty slow after a crew change....

Guess you never know how good you got it until... you move away or your prototype merges... I'll definitely take the Heritage scheme though! Now if they'd just do schemes to commemorate the NP and CB&Q... May's well do some Frisco too, what the hey...

lol

Ray,

You lived in Staples?

Were you there for the destruction of everything?

My last vacation (3 years ago) I drove north, rented a Hotel room across the street from Staples station and watched trains... went to Duluth drove all around. We don't get any Intermodel on the Marshall sub, and it was cool to see so much of it. Staples yard is a ghost... :(

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Hey by the way,

What kind of train was this lashup pulling? Having a 6 axle 40 dash 2 and a 4 axle 38, togther, is a bit odd... not unheard of, but generally the 4 axles are on locals and the 6 axles are on the run through manifests. Whazzup? Inquiring BNSF fans wanna know...:rolleyes:
Jeff,
BNSF uses a pair of H1 Geeps for local, and yard duty. I think that Geep was one of the pair that BNSF stations at Cheyenne Yard. It was just cut in behind road power. OR, it came in with the road power. Granted, this is nothing but a glorified branchline, but last week, I witnessed a train with 27,600 HP :eek: for a mixed manifest. To put this in perspective, most transcon Z-trains on BNSF run only 3-4 Dash 9's. That's only 17,600 HP. 4 Oakway SD60's, a Dash 8-40CW, Dash 8-40BW, and Dash 9-44CW. I dunno how many tons, but it wasn't much more than 5000 feet long. Just coming up the hill from Denver, gaining almost 2000 feet from central Colorado, she was prolly not all that taxed with such a load.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
I like the new mag, though I guess soon we will have to stop calling it new. The latest edition features Brian Morgan's layout in Vancouver, BC. Some of the pictures of people at that layout are the group I hang out with (but not at Brian Morgan's place - though I just received an invite to attend from him). So if you look at the pics of Morgan's layout, you will see John Green (HO Kettle Valley) and Mike Chandler (HO free lance of a short mainline somewhere in Montana).

By the way Terry,
If you are on the mainland in Vancouver some Friday evening, I can probably get an invite for you to John Green's layout of the Kettle Valley. If you take the NMRA bus tours, his layout is on it every year. If you have attended any of those, you have met me but you didn't know it.

the_great_snag

Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
Ray,

You lived in Staples?

Were you there for the destruction of everything?

My last vacation (3 years ago) I drove north, rented a Hotel room across the street from Staples station and watched trains... went to Duluth drove all around. We don't get any Intermodel on the Marshall sub, and it was cool to see so much of it. Staples yard is a ghost... :(

Jeff, what Hotel room was that? The Super 8 is the closest thing to across from the depot.

I've been around there since 1978, so I've seen a lot of decline, particularly when they did away with firemen and brakemen on the crews. The yard also declined while BN changed some of the crew change points away from Staples as well.

I know a few old NP engineers and a lot of people who remember the roundhouse and the turntable and all the other steam era stuff. Must have been fun to be a railfan there in the 30's and 40's. They even used to have a footbridge over the tracks by the depot so pedestrians didn't have to wait for trains. Imagine the railfanning from a vantage point like that! Must have got a bit unpleasant when a big old steamer burning the NP's soft coal went under though!

In school we saw a lot of pics of presidents whistle-stopping there. We also used to have a lot of maps that we had to study with maps of the town and the railyard. You could plot the decline of the railroad in town year by year by studying them!