N-scale questions

woopud

Jan 8, 2006
Colorado
Are there starter sets available from any brand that have dcc build in allready ?
Thinking about building a freight yard layout, and i'm wondering if n-scale will run nice and smooth ?

Bert

FiveFlat

Dec 26, 2005
Galt, CA
I'm new to N-scale too, but I think for a starter set you should look for Bachmann Spectrum series. I see their sets for around $190.

skipgear

May 15, 2005
There is only one currently available N scale "train set" that has DCC included and it doesn't include a DCC controler, only a DC. It is the Bachmann Accela that was just released. It has a decoder installed that is backwards compatible (will work with both DC and DCC). The set comes with a standard DC power supply.

Look for more N sets from Bachmann with DCC next christmas season. They released a few HO sets with DCC this year and even one set with the DCC controler and 2 loco's so that you could get full use of DCC. They are pushing for DCC in HO and will soon be doing the same in N. Any new Spectrum N loco releases from Bachmann will be coming with DCC installed.

BTW - I agree with the statement above, the Bachmann Spectrum train sets make excellent starter sets. Their steam set comes with one of the best steam loco's you can get in N scale and it is not too bad to convert to DCC.

Dingo69

Jan 3, 2006
Not sure what you guy in the US have but I am currently looking at one of the following 2 sets:

Currently looking at one of the following starting packs:

Trix/Merklin

T11120 Trix Systems Era IV Super Start Set with 2 trains and large oval track

based on the following prototypes of the German Federal Railroad. 1 express train, consisting of: 1 class 003 steam locomotive, 1 express train locomotive, 1st class Am 202, 1 express train locomotive, 2nd class Bm 232, 1 express train dining car WR-4üm-64, 1 express train car, 2nd class with baggage compartment BDms 273. 1 freight train, consisting of: 1 class 221diesel locomotive, 1 dump car, 1 tank car, 1 stake car, 1 refrigerator car. Both locomotives are equipped with DCC Selectrix locomotive decoders.
Model: Era IV, motors with flywheel, each with 4 powered axles. Car with close coupler mechanism, can be retrofitted with interior lighting in the passenger cars. With Trix Mobile Station and transformer, large oval track 150 x 50 cm / 59-1/16 x 19-11/16", passing siding with 2 curved turnouts and storage siding with 2 turnouts, uncoupler track and 2 track bumpers. Can be extended with the entire Minitrix track program. All turnouts can be retrofitted with the 14934/14935 electric mechanisms.

Highlights: Super start in the new digital age With Trix Mobile Station in Trix Systems / DCC format Two complete trains 4 turnouts and uncoupler track

Fleischmann

FLE69369 - Regional Express Digital Starter Set Scale N
sample site: http://www.reynaulds.com/fleischman....asp?item=69369

Contains 1 digital diesel class 218 loco with headlights DCC chip, 2
double decker coaches, 1 double decker coach with cab control, 1 Twin
Track Control centre.

Extended oval of track plus station loop - (23 pieces of track). Train
length 602mm.

Operation via: 2 rail Digital DC system (compatible with DCC or FMZ
equipped Minitrix, Graham Farish etc)

Track included is Fleischmann N Piccolo track - full profile rails and
moulded ballast bed.

Price wise the Fleischmann is a bit more expensive even though it has only 1 train, maybe some one can explain why

If this helps any, both are digital. Here is my original posting with other members comments:

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=17732&page=2