N-scale Layout

Petervan

Nov 7, 2005
Lakehurst NJ
smile.gif
I am working on a N-scale layout since April of 2005. I have pictures would anyone like to see them. please tell me what think. I also have Question some of my engines is stutering
how wood I clean them?

Oroka

Nov 6, 2005
Port Elgin, ON
Stuttering? Ummm... I am no expert with hardware, but I would think the most likely cause would be a dirty track, which is causing the train not to get power in small spots, but the train's momentum carrys it past the dirty spot.

That is my theory atleast.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
We love pictures! Feel free to post them! I concur on the possibility your track is dirty although you can clean your engine's wheels as well by wetting a paper towel or a piece of clean cloth with isopropyl alcohol, placing it on a track (I spike my cloth down tightly over the rails), and letting your loco's wheels spin on the wet cloth. You'll immediately see black streaks on the towel or cloth and your loco will run better.
Ralph

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Petervan said:
smile.gif
I am working on a N-scale layout since April of 2005. I have pictures would anyone like to see them. please tell me what think. I also have Question some of my engines is stutering
how wood I clean them?
Peter,

look at the answer I gave you in your post here regarding posting pics and moving that thread. I want to move it for you so unless I hear from you otherwise, I'm going to move it to the Tech forum. You should also find a link to how to post pictures on the Gauge in my reply.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
An Atlas maintenance kit that includes grease, oil, and lubricating contact cleaner is a good investment along with a tube of MASS metal polish to clean wheel wiper strips. I tear down my engines and using a track eraser, scrub all the metal contact parts with these cleaners. I scrub gears and power truck frames with Dawn detergent and a toothbrush, rinse, and let air dry. Once everthing is dry I re-assemble it all with dabs of grease and oil on the moving parts with a round pointed tooth pick. Use only slight amounts of grease and oil. Otherwise, they gum wreak havok on everthing.