N scale Kato Mikado question(s)

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Hi All
I finally broke down and placed an order for the new N-scale Kato Mikado, and am waiting with worms in my mouth (i.e. with 'baited' breath) for it to arrive.

I understand that there are a lot of teeny-weeny detail parts to be applied. Has anyone had the experience of doing this? Any suggestions?
What sort of glue did you use? Do you recommend doing any weathering, etc., before or after the detailing?

Thanks,
Bill K

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Bill,

I'm sorry to hear that you got taken in by the infamous Kato Mikado scam. They're really terrible engines, and certainly not worth your time.

Hey, I have an idea! I want to make a display locomotive to put in my town. How about your send that terrible little Mikado to me? I'm sure that it's adequate for display...

-Rory

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
So, where should I deliver it to? Are you still living in that post office box? (Looks pretty roomy based on the photos you posted.)

If there's anyone out there that can give me a serious answer re: the Mike, I'd appreciate it!

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
It's interesting that you should compare my house to a post office box, because it is rather small. It's a topic that comes up at least once a day around here...as we bump into furniture and each other, and generally fail to find places to put things.

And my answer was serious. I want that Mikado!!! :):):)

-Rory

Hey bilk - In answer to one of you original questions, there are a good number of small parts to be put on. Unfortunately, my Mikado that arrived on Saturday was the wrong road name, so it goes back tomorrow. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Which also means that I haven't applied any of the parts yet. However, I have noticed that this baby has the same no-pull power that the original run did. If you haven't ordered a set of traction tires or two, you might want to. Oh, well... back to the waiting game.:mad: :mad: :mad:

(If you can't tell, I'm pretty :mad: about this. But, whatcha gonna do?)

:mad:

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Kato Heavy Mikado

This is a reply to the person who was waiting for his Kato to arrive. Good new-Bad news
When it comes to the detail parts it's a lost cause. They are making money on the sale of parts that were lost by you trying to assemble it. It's next to impossible!!! When I tried pulling some cars on my Scenic Ridge layout [ a 4% grade ] it could only pull 4 cars before it started slipping [ yes 4 ]. I had to purchase a traction tire upgrade [ should have been included ] it was a different story. I can pull 10 cars up that 4 % grade into a curve without a problem. Love the Heavy Mike. Buy it.