N-scale hump yard

I'm looking at building my first semi-permenant layout (been futtzing around with Kato track for awhile) and I would really like to incorporate a hump yard. Does anyone know if this has been done before and if any references are around? I am also planning to put down some circular/oval loops so the yard wouldn't stand alone. Just a pipe-dream project right now, along with buying a DCC kit, converting to MT couplers, figuring out what era, if any, to model, and trying not to piss off my landlord (I live in an apartment, hence the semi-permanent bit). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Hey BDC, While I don't live in a apartment you never know when you will have to move so I'm building a L-shaped layout that comes apart in 2 sections, the widest 34 inches, so it will fit thru the door. It is freestanding so nothing there to tick off your landlord and if you move you can take it with you rather then tearing down all your hard work. As far as the hump yard goes I have seen it done in HO but it takes a LONG space. I guess it would work in N-scale but you might need 8-10 feet just for the yard. I use Peco code 55 flextrack and #6 switches. they look more to scale and cost a whole heck of a lot less the Kato. Also you can make whatever curve radius you want.The MT couplers are the way to go. If you are not going to be running 4 or 5 trains at once you can go with block control and save a ton of $$$$$$ on the DCC. Tyson Rayles

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
BDC,

Don't know about the hump yard, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on avoiding excess wrath from your landlord... Have you considered building on one or more hollow core doors? They're fairly cheap ($20 or less), very rigid, and very light. My small layout is built on one door (30" wide by 80" long) and is sitting on two TV dinner trays. Moving it is very simple! It can even sit at home on the floor, or be stored under a bed. If you're not into scenery too much, you could even stand it up on end out of the way.

Just a couple of thoughts...

-Rory

P.S. - I suppose you could create a poor-man's hump yard by tipping the table slightly... :D

Thanks for the info. I really hadn't considered the portability of the layout at all, and looking at the doors it will have to fit throught, I better start thinking. I don't plan on using Kato track for any layout, except for the dining-room table layout I have now. I found a good deal on some Kato engines, so I have even more possibilities than before. Just where exactly the French TGV and the Rio Grande share track I have no idea, though. Maybe I could add a new "Chunnel" into the mix. Hmmm...

C

Catt

Geez BDC three posts and you allready sound as wacky as the rest of us.Welcome to the Gauge:D :D

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Yep - oughta fit right in! Anyhoo - my MRR bible, Track Planning for Realistic Operations, has this to say about hump yards: 1) They're too long too be practical to model, 2) Some artificial means of keeping the cars rolling but not too fast would be needed, like adding flywheels to the cars. Have at it, BDC.
BillK