N scale F7

Depends. What roads are you looking for? Does Bachmann model your road? How much are you willing to spend? Does it have to be a F7? I have purchased a Kato F3 A&B set for $110 at an auction and two F3As at $45 each. Are you willing to pay for custom painting? I'm having a few locos repainted by a fellow who charges $30 each, but I haven't received them back yet. I've also found another painter who is willing to work for the same price.

Just a few questions to think about. I've heard both good and bad about Bachmann. The big B'mann rule is Try Before You Buy. One loco can be superb while the one next to it is a rotten lemon. HTH

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Just like BDC says, the ONLY advice when buying Bachmann is see it running before you part with money. When you get a good one you've really got a good one. Buy mail order and there's no telling what it will run like (if at all).
I'm happy with all my Bachmann stuff coz I bought them all from hobby stores. A little lube and running-in is usually all that's needed on the good ones.
Bachman is great value for money, and their quality is improving all the time.
By the way it, it helps when we know what gauge you are thinking of buying items for ;) .

Errol

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
If you're doing NYC, the above mentioned F3's would be good. You could do them in the 3/4 length lightning stripe scheme. I'll be doing so with an ABA set of Stewart units...someday. I too assume you are talking N scale, since there are many F7's available in HO. Scale really should be mentioned when posting to the general discussion list.

Gary

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I'm at work and don't know the length of F3 compared to F7 but am inclined to say identical. If not, difference in N scale would be hard to notice. Perhaps someone else can say. At any rate, should be no problem operation wise, both these units are about as short as diesel locos get.

Gary

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Hey mrgooch, was it your posting on the Bachmann forum that asked this? Amazing how the replies differed between here and there, isn't it?