N-Scale Door Layout

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Well, while waiting for the space needed for the 5x5 Sci-Fi layout, I've decided to go ahead and get a 30x80 door to start.

Here is the layout I've worked out, based on the CSX/NS lines running near my apt.

I'm not especially fond of the simple oval, but I wanted to definately include the 'Boylan Wye'.

I also want help improving the RTP switching area, as it is currently a bad layout.

I plan to run freight, amtrak, and light rail on the line

boylan2-b.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I like Jon-Monon's improvements.
In the original, I think the tail track at N industries is too short. It looks as if you could get 2 cars in there (or car+loco) so you couldn't switch the other industries if there's a car there.
Switchback spurs can be fun or frustrating to work. It can be like having a water hazard across the green (in golf).

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
modified layout

Working from Jon's suggestions, I made the following alteration to the layout. It entrance has to stay on the left, because the RTP is well west of the city (northwest really)

I'm including a map of the rail area I'm mapping, the Yards are about at stop 13, while the park is about stop 5 or 6.

regplanmap.gif

Attachments

• boylan2.jpg
    boylan2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 379

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think you need some sort of run around track on the lefts ide of the layout in order to work all of those industries. I think I would forget the tunnel and use something else for a view block. Perhaps do urban modeling and bring the train through some tall warehouses or skyscrapers. You could then put a passing siding on that end that could also function as a run around.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
another modification

after some talks in chat this afternoon, I made this change

Its now double track all the way around, :D at the cost of the left inside turn using 2 sharp 9.75 sections (eased into with 11" radius curves). If I used straight 11" sections, it winds up overlapping the outer curve. the yard goes in two different directions, allowing trains to be launched in both directions.

the Research Triangle switching sections (heavily fictionalized) serves 9 industries on 5 sidings, one of which is the CSX interchange track, with a workable runaround track in the middle. The incomplete, and thus implied 3rd leg of the Wye is an area for future expansion, as is the CSX interchange. The companies are real, but only Glaxo or IBM is likely to actually have Rail links

basically, there are 3 areas in the layout:

the circle from the Amtrak station through the Wye and past the University into Cary is relatively 'together', if highly compressed (the actual trackage there is about 8 or 9 miles). The second area is the RTP industry sidings, and the third is the yard space, a sizable urban area, turning more rural will be used to divide the three areas. the yards may be behind a screen eventually.

again, post opinions

Attachments

• boylan4.gif
    boylan4.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 356

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Re: another modification

Lookin' goooooood, SS.

Originally posted by screwysquirrel
after some talks in chat this afternoon, I made this change

Its now double track all the way around, :D at the cost of the left inside turn using 2 sharp 9.75 sections (eased into with 11" radius curves). If I used straight 11" sections, it winds up overlapping the outer curve.

Why don't you use flex track so you can open up the iner curve?

One thing to watch for, when we design a layout with a lot of turnouts, especially in a yard ir industrial spur, it's easy to create an "S" curve and not realize it. It may be that the intended useage will not cause a problem, but it's important to keep in mind. There should be a straight section as long as the longest rolling stock to cross it. Otherwise you get couplers swinging oposit directions and derailments may occur.:eek:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
As always there are tons of options when designing a layout. Now that you have changed your layout plan and it has evolved to this level SS it looks better and better. The trick comes when you actually lay the track and see how close you come to the plan. You may find some changes that will improve the overall appearance and track operating reliabilty as you go. That has been my experience

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The only change I would reccomend is to include a couple of turnouts in the yard tracks where you have the three track set on the right to crossover from one track to another at the bumper end, so that a train could come into the yard off of the mainline, and the engine could uncouple and use the adjacent track for an escape. The two track yard extension on the left could be used for an small engine facility. Also if you put in those switches mentioned earlier, a locomotive could go past the cut of cars on an adjacent track, cross over and hook up, and then back onto the mainline to leave. If that train is designated as West bound, then a locomotive hooking directly to a cut of cars near the switches at the mainline would leave Eastbound.