N scale cork roadbed too wide ?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I'm doing some cork roadbed trial, I purchased some of it at the LHS but the width is unrealistic ( too wide Imho ).
I measured the inter track distance ( center to center ) and it matchs the Atlas specs: 1 1/4"
Shouls I trim it ? If yes, should I trim the slanted side or the side that's glued on the track center line.
Does that problem happens with HO scale cork roadbed too ?

Attachments

• scaledCork.jpg
    scaledCork.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 14
  • scaledCork2.jpg
    scaledCork2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 12

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
The Midwest roadbed is (IMHO) too wide... I think the bevel should start very close to the edge of the ties, so that when you ballast, the shoulder falls away fairly quickly. The Woodland Scenics Track Bed is pretty much the same.

I actually prefer roadbed that comes out to the end of the ties (I cut my own from roll cork I got at the hardware store), and then I can shape the shoulders to my satisfaction with ballast. So if you are going to trim it, trim outside the ties... leave maybe 1/16" - 1/8" past the ties, and cut the beveled part off.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks for your input Squidbait. I didn't ask my LHS who is the N scale roadbed manufacturer, but it looks like the problem applies to most of the roadbed manufacturers in any scale ( you mention Woodland Scenics too ).
So, tomorrow we'll hear it right from the horse's mouth: I'll take my measuring tape and go right down the road to the CN track.
As you suggest if I have to trim I'll trim outside the ties, but I'll still keep some bevel but sharper than the original angle ( A bevel will help when ballasting the track ).

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I went to the CNR track down the road this afternoon and measured the distance between the end of the ties to the bevel.
I had to trim the N scale roadbed 3 milimeters so it matches the prototype.
On the picture the trimmed roadbed is on the right.

Attachments

• scaledroadbed.jpg
    scaledroadbed.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 23