Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'The Academy' started by Tyson Rayles, May 17, 2003.
One from behind
One last one from closer up. This is about as small a thing as care to work on! Glad I don't have to build a fleet of these things.
Don with all the false starts and things that didn't work out I probably have about 30-35 hours in it. If you remember from earlier on in this thread I mentioned I learned not to build the sides till AFTER you mount the couplers as the sides will be too short otherwise . I spent 2 hours looking thru my junk box for parts and pieces to make my water pump before coming up with what I did while the actual pump took about 15 min. to construct, just to give you a couple of examples. Knowing what I now know I could probably get it to this point if I were to build another in about 7-10 hours.
While I spent most of today with the kids, yesterday I hit a few flea markets and craft shops in search of suitable antlers. No luck yet, but I'll keep trying. Hope I don't have to try to scratch em'! May go ahead and try some decaling next, didn't want anybody to think I'd given up!
Well I found some suitable antlers and now everyone can have a chuckle on me. After amutating them and splicing, painting, weathering and mounting em' on the roof, I set back with a cold one to watch her run around the layout! You guessed it! everything was fine until the first tunnel portal , sigh , back to the workbench for repairs and remounting. Here they are in the new location.
And her she is AFTER safely exiting a tunnel.
O.K. this is where I am at with my "horny" little problem . All the pics I have seen not many locos had antlers on em' . The ones that did were on the roof, the head light or on the front boards where I now have em'. I made em smaller, shaped em' some etc. Please be honest, should I keep em'?, get rid of em'? keep em' but make changes (if so what changes)????
And a shot of the loco out in the woods
Ty, you've inspired me to take the next step and build a climax myself. I work in HO so it will be in n30 using an N scale ModelPower Alco RS-15 chassis as a foundation. I've already started work on the boiler which will be a verticle one instead of horizontal. While I'm waiting for the glue to dry I kibbled the antlers together. I'll be mounting them on top of the old box-type oil lamp that I'll be using. The rack is a healthy one in HO, 3', in N it would be elk-size at just over 5'. I used street lights from my scrapbox as shown...
Well I tried dry transfers and decals to put the Climax name on her, but wasn't happy with either. I did add a chain at the right rear and a 55 gal drum with a hand pump up at the right front. You might think that drum carries drinking water or fuel oil or lubricants. You might think that, silly you . With the likes of sumpter250, Casey, Errol and Charlie around here those 1 gal. jugs of Graham County's finest weren't lasting 5 minutes so ..................................................................
You notice there are no labels saying what is in that drum! Didn't want to invite a train robbery
A shot of her pounding upgrade on the Tellico Gap loop.
Thanks guys! Tad all my pulpwood eoads are hardwood twigs cut to size. Most are Maple and Hickory, some Oak.