N-Scale Climax ?

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by Tyson Rayles, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Well this is what is finished so far. I have added the driveshafts (bend-a-rod) and the couplers. Also learned :mad: don't waste my time building car sides untill AFTER the couplers are on cause the sides will be too short otherwise! :(

Attached Files:

2. Tyson Rayles

With a bunch of fake puter smoke :D :rolleyes: :D we see "No Fingers" going for a test run. She took 6 cars and a caboose up a 4% grade while going thru a compound curve, 12 cars no problem on a 2% grade and thru a curve :D . I'm satisfied with the performance needless to say!

Attached Files:

3. Tyson Rayles

Thanks guys! O.K. David, I'll bite. You don't have the space??? Man it's only 3" x1/2"x3/4" :D
  4. Tyson Rayles

Well here is a stuck together mock-up? The sides would still have to be painted/weathered as would the roof. Still need to make the wood ends for the front and back, weather the trucks and add details like foot boards etc. While I haven't seen any with front windows and only a few with rear windows, side windows were fairly common. Also thinking about cloth curtains for the doorways, while trying to see if it is truly starting to look like a Climax. Comments????????????????

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  5. Tyson Rayles

Thanks shaygetz! Now my question is does that look like cloth or canvas hanging in the doorway?

Attached Files:

6. Tyson Rayles

Thanks guys! :) Errol it's far from finished, there is still the ends to build, the roof supports and a permanent roof with the bell. Steps to get in the doors, foot plates front and rear. And I may change the water tank yet again :rolleyes: :eek: :( :D , not sure I want to live with the oversize rivets. Besides I've seen your work you can probably do a better job of this than I'm doing! :D ;)
  7. Tyson Rayles

Roof braces

Attached Files:

• dime.jpg
      dime.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Tyson Rayles

What I hope will work for the step

Attached Files:

• foot.jpg
      foot.jpg
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Tyson Rayles

And the braces in place

Attached Files:

10. Tyson Rayles

Here is one with the step, roof, bell and whistle installed. Put a chain on the front boards for effect :D , also dirtied up the canvas and hired a good ol' boy who don't wear no coat or tie :D :D :D I also filed off the rivets off on the water tank, just couldn't make em' small enough :mad: .

Attached Files:

11. Tyson Rayles

Well 1 step forward, 2 steps back :mad: :( :eek: . Got to looking and the right side of the body was leaning in slightly so I removed the roof and side. Reglued the side on straight only to find the roof was now to narrow :( :mad: :eek: ! So I now have made a new roof and reattached it. Maybe after going backwards today I will be able to go forwards tomorrow??? :rolleyes:
  12. Tyson Rayles

Well I think the back-end is done. Most pictures I have show angle iron for foot plates so that is what I did here. With black on black the front one shows up better :eek: . Now to work on the front-end .

Attached Files:

13. Tyson Rayles

O.K. here's some pics of the front.

Attached Files:

14. Tyson Rayles

The headlight is just painted in for now, I know :rolleyes: I got a jewel type marker here somewhere and when I find it...............................................

Attached Files:

15. Tyson Rayles

And a profile so you can see the driveshafts, chain etc.

Attached Files:

16. Tyson Rayles

No, the train wasn't climbing a 5% grade in that last pic, I just forgot to level the camera :eek: :p :D . At this point I pretty much consider this done, however if you can think of any additional details or whatever please let me know. As far as lettering and numbering goes, the vast majority of the pics I have don't show any. I think this is due in part to the fact that a lot of companys that owned Climax's only had 1 so no need for numbers, as far as no names I don't know the reason, any guess' ???? Maybe finances played a part in it. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do.
  17. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

How's this Ty? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

Moonlighting

Hey! Who took your Climax for a ride? Seems he's makin' some extra cash takin' a bunch of the dreaded tourii out for a bit of the ol' rubber neckin'. Lucky thing, me bein' in the right place and took this pic, or you woulda never known. ;)

Attached Files:

19. Blake

Blake Member

Hey, either that's a BIG dime or that's a small loco!! Looks great!! Northwest Short Line now makes a motor that is a flat can. The diameter is 12mm (1/2") but on the flat sides it's only 10mm (13/32"). The motor body is 20mm (13/16") long. Just something I thought you might want to know for future reference.
  20. Tyson Rayles

Casey Feedwater suggested a water pump and hose was in order to put out the fires the loco would start. So here is what I came up with, it's the little thing on the top back of the water tank.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.