N Gauge Model Windmill

David Eaves

Hi everyone,

I've just recently discovered these forums, there are some great pictures and layouts and a wealth of information in the posts.

I've just started working on the railway section of my website, currently there are just some pictures of a windmill I made for a relative. There is a lot more in the pipeline though, once I get it written :)

I'll hopefully get some information about the construction and the electronic controller (Variable Random Speed to simulate wind variations) up soon, but for now heres a link to the site http://theengineshed.davideaves.co.uk

(Click on Photo Gallery when you get there)
The windmill is based on a style seen around the area I live in the UK. The finished model is about 5" tall and was made approximately to scale from pictures.

David

billk

David - Welcome to the Gauge!

I checked out your web site, and that's a pretty neat little windmill you have there. Are you planning on randomizing both the wind direction and speed? Could you fill us in on the electonics once you get it working?

A typical windmill here in the US (or at least the ones I'm used to) doesn't have the enclosure like yours, it just has a metal framework (looks kind of like a oil derreck or a transmission tower, if that helps). I guess the motor in that case could be put under the layout table, but the gears might be hard to deal with.

Bill K

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
David,
There are mills like that on the east end of Long Island, New York. those have shingle siding, but otherwise are very much like yours. It's good to see someone else knows there is more to the world than what resides on the hobbyshop shelves. Nice work!!!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Those kind of windmills were used for grinding wheat or other grains weren't they. Billk, the ones you refer to are mainly used to pump up water from a well. All kinds of opportunities for us modellers eh!
Welcome to the gauge David

Drew1125

Welcome to The Gauge David!
That's some really nice scratchbuilding!
Your webpage looks like it's going to be real cool, too!
Hopefully, we'll get to see some more of what you're up to!:)

David Eaves

Hi thanks for all the nice comments, replying to some of the points

BillK

Its actually finished, I made it as a Christmas present for one of my relatives. The electronic controller is just random in one direction though it wouldn't be difficult to make it go both ways. I'll hopefully get the circuit information up this weekend, the controller is based around a microcontroller using Pulse Width Modulation. I made it with two speed settings as well, Calmish and Breezy :)

I've seen pictures of the open framed ones you mention as you say it would be harder to create the mechanism.

Sumpter250
Thanks, Those windmills sound cool, I enjoyed making the model too its the first model like that I've made, as I'm only really starting in the hobby.

Matthyro

Yes this type of windmill would have been for grinding grains, though some like that style in Holand I think were used for pumping water. As for oportunities if only I had the time to make all the things I had in my head! :)

Charlie

Thanks, I hope so I've just got to write the pages, this part of my site has been neglected up to now.

Thanks everyone again for replying, it is nice to be made welcome on the forum