MythBusters experiment proposal - (hopefully a joint effort for forum members)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Hans Christian, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Assuming linear accelleration (which is incorrect) the catapult would need to be stretched by roughly 342 m. In practice it would need to be longer as the rate of acceleration would would drop off.

I guess that is possible but we're stretching the limits of our imagination :roll: Perhaps bungee rubber, as used by R/C glider launches ?
  2. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Assuming linear accelleration (which is incorrect) the catapult would need to be stretched by roughly 342 m. In practice it would need to be longer as the rate of acceleration would would drop off.

I guess that is possible but we're stretching the limits of our imagination :roll: Perhaps bungee rubber, as used by R/C glider launches ?
  3. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I didn't make use of rubber band cats like the type with 3-4 strands tied into a small chain, and then tied into a stick...

I used a chain of rubber bands for my cat, 16 rings tied end-to end, with 4-5 strands of rubber band per ring...

and boy my right hand and fingers are aching after an afternoon of launches...

the pulling force is so great that when I accidentally let loose my F-4 on one launch with my right hand on the way just a few inches from the dog-tooth wing, it left me a gash 2.5 inches long, and it was pretty deep, considering how much may hand bleed that day... (ouch)
  4. Hans Christian

I didn't make use of rubber band cats like the type with 3-4 strands tied into a small chain, and then tied into a stick...

I used a chain of rubber bands for my cat, 16 rings tied end-to end, with 4-5 strands of rubber band per ring...

and boy my right hand and fingers are aching after an afternoon of launches...

the pulling force is so great that when I accidentally let loose my F-4 on one launch with my right hand on the way just a few inches from the dog-tooth wing, it left me a gash 2.5 inches long, and it was pretty deep, considering how much may hand bleed that day... (ouch)
  5. silverw

silverw Member

This would be really great if you could actually get Mythbusters to tackle this one. Just think of the exposure, to have paper models as the topic on a television program!

.... not to mention the entertainment value of seeing how Adam would manage to injure himself with a paper airplane. (rocket motors, overstressed surgical tubing... the possiblities are endless. :twisted:
  6. silverw

silverw Member

This would be really great if you could actually get Mythbusters to tackle this one. Just think of the exposure, to have paper models as the topic on a television program!

.... not to mention the entertainment value of seeing how Adam would manage to injure himself with a paper airplane. (rocket motors, overstressed surgical tubing... the possiblities are endless. :twisted:
  7. Hans Christian

Hmmm... maybe pulleys would be the solution here... since pulleys can multiply the force generated by the rubber band chain thru leverage, plus it recuces the distance to be pulled since the extra distance would be covered by the pulleys...
  8. Hans Christian

Hmmm... maybe pulleys would be the solution here... since pulleys can multiply the force generated by the rubber band chain thru leverage, plus it recuces the distance to be pulled since the extra distance would be covered by the pulleys...
  9. Hans Christian

OH YEAH!!! :-D

I really like him, he's the one that makes me laugh in the show!!! His laugh is sometimes enough to make me giggle myself!!! Along with sir Jamie's nature, and the build team's (sometimes) clown like takes (i.e. Grant's laugh! hehehe!!! :-D )

I need more comments from anyone before I toss this over to the MythBusters' forums :-D
  10. Hans Christian

OH YEAH!!! :-D

I really like him, he's the one that makes me laugh in the show!!! His laugh is sometimes enough to make me giggle myself!!! Along with sir Jamie's nature, and the build team's (sometimes) clown like takes (i.e. Grant's laugh! hehehe!!! :-D )

I need more comments from anyone before I toss this over to the MythBusters' forums :-D
  11. Hans Christian

- or to personally send this to either Grant or Tory thru their myspace accounts :twisted:
  12. Hans Christian

- or to personally send this to either Grant or Tory thru their myspace accounts :twisted:
  13. Hans Christian

I've now posted this topic on the Mythbusters fansite :-D
  14. Hans Christian

I've now posted this topic on the Mythbusters fansite :-D
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Everyone go and support this!
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Everyone go and support this!
  17. SteveM

SteveM Member

They have done paper "models" before, remember the paper crossbow myth?
  18. SteveM

SteveM Member

They have done paper "models" before, remember the paper crossbow myth?
  19. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

--Was that the one to shoot the prison guards? Or I'm remembering nonsense?
  20. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

--Was that the one to shoot the prison guards? Or I'm remembering nonsense?