Mystery to Me

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I opened up the tender of my Backman Spectrum Consolidation awhile ago to see about putting ina decoder and discovered this. What is it? Does it appear to be a decoder? I'm not smart about these things, or much of anything else actually:D :D

Attachments

• dcp04964.jpg
    dcp04964.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 160

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Bob,
You just prompted me to have a look inside mine. It is a full wave rectifier with two high frequency filters. the small "box" with a circuit board on to is an 8 pin dual in-line socket and the circuit board is just jumper connectors to let the loco run without DCC. I presume the circuit board gets replaced by a DCC decoder.

Errol

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks very much Errol, I knew that was going to be too good to be true to have a decoder already installed. That would be just like the decoder I bought to put in it (DH142) doesn't have anything but the bare wires to mate to the socket. I'll need to regroup and see how I manage to get that all hooked up without destroying it:D :D

Oh well, another task to put off until later:rolleyes:

Bob

You must have a night job or insomnia. My clock shows that it is late in haggis country:cool:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bob, What you need to avoid soldering in this case is the decoder DH142P, which includes the 8 pin plug, as opposed to the DH142, which has loose wires. The replacement harness assy is available from Digitrax dealers for about $4.00.

Gary

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks Gary, and to all of you who have responded. This is all part of my education and to have willing "helpers" like all of you just enhances my love for the hobby. I do appreciate your willing to jump in and help the amateur AGAIN :) :)

Bob

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Sumpter,

In Missouri , the expression is "Show me ...."

It seems in North Carolina the expression is "Don't talk about my ..."

It was meant as humour ... You're built too low ... the fast ones go over your head! :D :D :D

Errol

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Errol,
Thanks, I thought I might have stepped over the line. I've still got a couple of fast ones stuck in my kneecaps. Discretion being the better part of valor, and having never been in North Carolina, the reference wasn't clearly understood.

If you're going to catch that daylight you'd better give silver some oats!
Pete.