My WSLC #15 - A 3-truck Shay

Hello Shay-fans

Last saturday, my secound Atlas-Shay arrived. So i could start another project, to build a 3-truck Shay out of 1 and 1/2 of this Atlas Shays.

And here is the result. Most of the details are still missing like airpump, waterpump, wooden boxes, figures, letters and so on.

But even more importend is, that this engnie runs great !!!.

I'm using the third truck for electric pickup. The middle gear has been removed, to let the wheelsets turn free in the truck. I've also removed the bevelgear on lineshaft. So the driveline will turn free and runs very smooth.

The frame of the engine has been shortened to get the rear truck closer to the cap. I've only shortend the rear end of the frame and this is the smallest version you can get. You could also shorten the front section and Shay would be even shorter. By shorting the frame, the flywheel in the cap has been modified to fit onto the new chassie.

Now, I've removed the airtank and airpump on the shell at the boiler and cut away the runboard. I've then added a new one out of brass. Also the frame has been modified to represent a old style U-beam frame. I've used 2x1mm U-shaped brass for this. The oiltank is out of brass and brings some more weight to the loco. The tender is the original one of the Shay and has been glued to a frame out of brass.

After assembling, The Shay looks real good. It is notexactly the prototype #15, but looks very close to its original loco. And she runs sooo smooth and well... You could run it in "real walking speed" on the track. It's fantastic.

But that will be enough words for the moment....

Here are three pictures of the actual status of my #15. Enjoy the pics and please let me know, what you think about this 3-trucker...

Gerd

Shay_15_1.jpg

Shay_15_2.jpg

Shay_15_3.jpg

Zman

All I can say is WOW!!!!!

That's some feat of modeling. Please keep the pics coming as you detail the engine.

I'll do my very best ;-)
But I'm still waiting for my order from Walthers. I think it will be at the tariff office (?) at the moment.
This evening, I'll try to scratch two waterpumps for my Shays and add some boxes and other stuff to my engine.