My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is the new siding just before the first tunnel. That long track isn't for the mine, I just have to unsolder the joints, I put a switch in just before the track turns to the left, it will service the mine and another industry.

Attached Files:

2. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

WOW!!!

That's one tremendous, awesome layout. Are you working on this alone? If it were me, it would never be finished!!!
  3. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks! I'm going at it all alone! I hope it will be finished someday! I've given up watching tv, I find it more productive to work on my layout! After 3 hours of working on it, you can actually see what I have done. (most of the time!)
  4. McFortner

McFortner Member

That is quite a layout you have going there. Makes my little 3 x 4 setup look dinky. Well, in 20+ years I'll have one bedroom to turn into a train room..... :rolleyes:

Michael
  5. marty w.

marty w. Member

Nice progress.
    Looking good.
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Marty
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Mike it just gets better and better. I agree with you as to TV. It is far better to be doing something on the railroad than to watch some of the lousy programs being offered.. It sure gets your mind working too as there is no doubt that model railroading can be challenging at times. Now I must admit, I do some scratchbuilding of structures while I watch sports on TV.
  7. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841 Member

This ought to be a majestic layout. Can't wait to see those unit grain trains making their ways through thos soon-to-be-gigantic mountains!

TV is bad, I never watch TV.
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I got the west end of Calgary's yard put together last night, everything works good, no derailments! Now I just have to do the east end!

Attached Files:

9. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

Very Shagadelic, Baby!
    Oops, wrong movie set! :eek:

Wow, you really have a cool setup going on! Makes my little 11x12' layout look dinky!

It's still nice to know I'm not the only mid-large layout builder that still uses Atlas c80!:p
  10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Yep, I'm still using code 80, I've got too much down now to change!
  11. Matthyro

I too use code 80 as I also have a lot of it down and more that I recycled from my old layout. I must admit I like the look of code 55 .
    Mike a question for you. How do you manage to get those long straight sections. No matter what, I seem to get a wave or two so the track isn't perfectly straight.
  12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Robin, I've got a 4 foot metal ruler, I just use that as a straight edge when laying track. The sections of flex track are only 30" so I have enough of the ruler to overlap onto the previous section. For the first track against the backdrop, I put a screw into the plywood at one end, and put one at the opposite end the same distance from the backdrop. then I ran a string from one screw to the other one, and used it as a guide and the 4' metal ruler to keep the track going straight. I found this helped me lay the track perfectly straight.
  13. SD70BNSF

SD70BNSF Member

Nice trackwork

Nice trackwork Mike.

From the looks of the picture, you are laying the track down on the sheet cork you mentioned earlier. How are you going about the process of glueing the track down? Could you explain the method you are using a little more, i.e., how much, when do you glue, what kind of glue, etc.

Thanks!
  14. SD90

SD90 Active Member

This is what I use to glue the cork and the track down. It dries farily quick and if you are in a hurry, you can use a hair dryer! If you have to peel it up, it come up quick with a retractable knife. (I've had to take up about half of my track so far! I keep changing things around!)

Attached Files:

15. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I've figured out how to solder feeders much better now, so that's what I've been doing, not to interesting, but it has to be done, right? How often does everyone else put feeders? I've been doing it every piece of flex track, is that more than I need to?
  16. Matthyro

Mike, I too have feeders to each section of track . This way we don't have to worry about current not flowing properly through a rail joiner. Now when I add a short section of track say in a yard then I solder the joiners in place to make sure current flows to the end of the track.
  17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is my new track plan, I've updated all the changes I have made.

This is the first level...

Attached Files:

• 32a.jpg
      32a.jpg
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
  18. SD90

SD90 Active Member

And here is the second level...

Attached Files:

• 33a.jpg
      33a.jpg
      File size:
      23.8 KB
      Views:
  19. Matthyro

It's good to see your updated trackplan Mike. Now we can place the fine photos you post and will be waiting to see the wonderful scenery this layout will have.
  20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here are some pictures of CP 5741 and 6003 heading west pulling a unit grain train.

Attached Files:

• 38.jpg
      38.jpg
      File size:
      32.4 KB
      Views: