My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841 Member

* looks at grain train

* drools
  2. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Robin, what paint scheme are you going to do that SD60M in? I have some UP GP20's I have to repaint too!
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Mike, I had intended to do it in MAT colours but have to do some rethinking about it. May change my colour scheme.
  4. davidmbedard

davidmbedard Member

Hi Guys

Im in Fort Worth Texas and its SO HOT.

Lookin good Mikey! But thoes grain cars look a little clean for my taste.

Ill be home on the 13th and will be ready to get going on my senery and my little projects. Ill do another step by step for my internet friends. SD40-2F's people! And for half the price of the Pacifc Rail offerings (with Dcc too I might add) .

Try and find thoes decals and we will be in buisness!

Bye for now. The opera is going fine and I have a dinner i have to kiss a22 at tonight.

Cheers
  5. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I thought the grain cars looked a bit too clean too, I'll wait till you get back to show me how to do it right! I like the stuff that you weather. I have to change the couplers to MT also.
  6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I know most of these pictures have been posted before, but I thought I'd take some new ones and do a walk through of my layout, and all the pictures will be together.

Attached Files:

7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Attached Files:

8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Attached Files:

9. SD90

SD90 Active Member

This will be just west of Calgary on the layout.

Attached Files:

10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

This is an overview of Calgary's yard and the second level, in BC.

Attached Files:

11. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I started fitting the pieces of foam board for the scenery, next will be gluing them and cutting. There are 5 pictures at the bottom of page 10 also, I thought they would all fit one page. I guess not!

Attached Files:

12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

This is just before the staging yards.

Attached Files:

13. SD90

SD90 Active Member

This is looking over the backdrop towards the uppper and lower staging yards.

Attached Files:

14. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Really cool. I'm amazed with the size! I wish I could have alayout like this...
  15. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I've decided to add 2 more passing sidings to the layout. The first will be on the lower level at the 'S' curve, just before the staging yard. The second one will be just before the spiral tunnels,(you can see it on the first 2 pictures(on page 10), right in front of the mine.) This will give me 7 passing sidings(and 7 towns to model!) and I think it will ease congestion on what is the slowest part of the 'Laggan Sub'. I'll draw a new track plan and post it as soon as I can.
  16. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I also took out the double main line just before Calgary, on the main level, and went to single. I think it will make operating more realistic, as well as give me a bit more room for scenery.
  17. belg

belg Member

sd90 I'm just wondering if this will be a layout that one person can run and how many consists could you run at one time? Are you planning on superdetailing the whole layout? if so how long do you think this will take?OOOOOOOH by the way I had to go wipe the drool before asking all these questions. One more, since the wife's not listening could you venture a guess what you'll spend on track scenery and benchwork?
  18. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Belg, I have designed the layout so that I can run it by myself, I'll be able to run more trains if I have some help!
    I do plan on detailing the entire layout, I would like to have it featureed in a magazine one day. I hope to have it mostly finished in about 2 years. Right now, I have 8 locos with decoders in them, so I'm running 4 trains, as I get more decoderes, I'll run more. The trains on the layout are 25 to 30 cars long, I think that is what I'll run most of the time. I was originally thinking I'd run 40-50 car trains, but I think thats too long for this layout, that 25 car grain trian I'm running has 2 SD40-2's on it and it's 10 1/2 feet long. You can't see much more than that at once anyway.
    I guess I will have spent about $5000 on benchwork,track, switches, and scenery when it's all said and done.
  19. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is what I have been up to, 2 new sidings and no more double main line to Calgary. I think it will work much better.

Attached Files:

20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Now it's just single mainline.

Attached Files: