My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

There are a few good entry DCC systemd Mike but give the digitrax a good try before you consider changing . For a layout the size of yours I think digitrax is perfect. I know it seems daunting but once up and running it's a breeze. I use the infrared wireless walk around and with three infrared detectors I can control trains from anywhere in my layout room. What is it about the system you find complicated?
  2. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I'm finding it hard to program CV's with such a small screen! Maybe the computer software would help.
  3. Matthyro

Someting I forgot to ask is what throttles you have. I got the DT400 to do the programming stuff and a DT 300 so can have 4 trains running with the two of them. Now the steps aren't much when I add a new loco cause any new ones will come decoder equipped so all I need to do is give it its number and away I go.
  4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Yes, I also have the DT400.
  5. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is the new CN power on my layout!

Attached Files:

• 5311.jpg
      5311.jpg
      File size:
      52.3 KB
      Views:
  6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

And another shot!

Attached Files:

7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is the real locomotive I am trying to model.

Attached Files:

8. zeeglen

zeeglen Member

That is truly awe inspiring - keep us posted on your progress!
  9. Matthyro

A perfect model of the real thing Mike. It is hard to tell the difference if any. Nicely done.
  10. davidmbedard

davidmbedard Member

AAAAAHHHHH....

What the Hell is that? CN power in the Calgary Alyth yard? Did you paint that? Wow looks good. But I dont think YOU painted that. Did ya? I dunno. Did you get a new compressor? If not, feel free to call my folks and borrow mine :)
    Where are you other locos? I would have had all the CPs done by now. Cant wait to see'm.
  11. SD90

SD90 Active Member

It's just passing through alyth yard! I don't have all the CP locos done yet, actually I haven't even started them, except for the walkways and handrails. I did however get 8 decoders installed in my locomotives. 4 SD40-2's, 2 Sd40's and 2 SD90's,(Guess which SD90 has a decoder in it now!) I'm learning how to consist and run multiple trains, it's lots of fun!
  12. davidmbedard

davidmbedard Member

So your not giving up on the Digitrax? Try programming with my 300 throttle. NOT FUN.

Glad to see that your getting decoders. How is old 9400 doing? hope he is getting dirtier!

IM SO HOMESICK AND IT IS SO HOT DOWN HERE. Im shrivelling up.

Ive got my next project and yours;

Yours will be a SD40-2 B unit (SOO) Should be a good start for a kitbash and im going to do 2 more SD40-2fs. Ive found a great train store in Dallas (Addison actuallly) that has a Sh!^ load of stuff. Ill be getting a few SD60M,s and a few other locos. They also have some great DETAIL parts. Ill try and get as much 'hard to get' stuff before I leave here.

Try and get some SOO line decals for me will ya? Youll need it for your SD40-2B. See if you can find it in the CP yard downtown, I think it works there.

How was Kelowna? Get any great train pics?
  13. Matthyro

I too am pleased you are getting on with Digitrax. I am sure you will grow to love it Mike.
    David, do I dare ask where you are that is so hot??:D :D :D
  14. SD90

SD90 Active Member

No, I'm not giving up on Digitrax! 9400 has been getting lots of running up the spiral tunnels! I have decided that 25-30 car trains are what I will be running. They seem to look long enough and I'm not so worried about them falling onto the floor on that mountain! I've got a unit grain train on the layout now too! I'll take some picture of it tonight maybe. Try to get as many detail parts as you can! I've been masking my locomotives getting ready to paint them, I'm having trouble getting the windows out of the SD40-2's, any hints? I'd like an SD40-2f also, see if they have any SD60's at that hobby shop, I could use a couple of them on the layout too! Let me know if he has any. When will you be back David?

Attached Files:

15. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is the other SD60 I want on my layout, it will be another project! I met someone from CP Rail today, and he gave me a timetable. Laggan Sub, that's what I am going to call my layout. It actually goes from the Brooks sub all the way to the Mountain Sub, but I think 'The CPR's Laggan Sub in N scale' sounds good, maybe it will be on the cover of a magazine in a couple of years!

Attached Files:

16. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here are some of the pictures of that grain train I saw leaving Calgary today!

Attached Files:

17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is another...

Attached Files:

18. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I had to drive really fast to get in front of the train, to get this shot before it went west to Exshaw!

Attached Files:

19. Matthyro

Here's an SD-60M in UP colours on my layout Mike. The only reason I got UP is because it was decoder equipped and is scheduled to go to the paint shop one of these days.
    I love that long grain train.

Attached Files:

20. SD70BNSF

SD70BNSF Member

Thanks for the pictures

Great pics SD90 (does that make you my big brother?).

I really enjoy all your pictures. Seeign a grain unit train is neat and different (I keep thinking about acquiring a unit coal train). I also really enjoy studing your benchwork and how you are actually progressing on the layout, so keep them coming. Maybe I could private message you about specifics as they apply to my plans?