My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here are some new pictures, I changed the main yard around, again, but I think this will work better now.I can now have 4 trains moving into and out of this yard at the same time. It will work better to cut in helpers too. The 4 main tracks on the new part are finished, and all 10 on the main yard are also laid. I still have to install 3 switches against the back part of the yard.

Attached Files:

2. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Attached Files:

3. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Attached Files:

4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Attached Files:

5. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Attached Files:

6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Attached Files:

7. Alan Curtis

Alan Curtis New Member

That is an amazing layout in the making :cool: The frightening thing for me is how much stock it will take to operate it :eek: :D
  8. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge Alan! Nice to have someone of your considerable skills drop in, hope you become a regular! ;) :) Yeah it looks like SD90 is building the layout the rest of us can only dream about. :cool:
  9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Nirvana, Shangrala, Valhala...surely not the work of a mere mortal. Outstanding trackwork, just amazing all around. And you have time for an R/C truck, too?
  10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

No, I don't have time for the R/C Truck anymore, that's why it's under the layout! I have sold most of my other R/C cars to fund this project!Model trains don't break as much as R/C cars!
    That yard does look kinda empty, doesn't it! Most of my rolling stock and locos are in boxes, I don't want to put them on the layout until the staging yards are finished, and I get my Digitrax system. The only cars on the layout are ones I don't have original boxes for. I have to keep moving trains around as I work on different parts of the layout.
  11. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I've been planning out my yard still, here is what I've come up with so far, the 8 tracks on the left of the first picture will be a very big locomotive facility, painting, building etc, modeled after the Alstom shop on Ogden road in Calgary. The 8 tracks to the right, will either be a locomotive maintince facility or car repair shop, if I make it a maintince facility, it will be modeled after the Alyth shop in Calgary as well. I'm going to have lots of room for Diesels! I hope Kato comes out with AC4400's soon!

Attached Files:

12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

From the other side.

Attached Files:

13. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

This is certainly developing into a first class railroad Mike. Can just imagine all the buildings you will need for those yards. You are wise to get the trackwork done before doing scenery. We are all envious of the space and budget you have for your layout.
  14. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I put up the last section of backdrop, I don't think I'll have to paint it, I'm going to have 2 or 3 mountain peaks along the right side, so most of it will be covered up.

Attached Files:

15. Matthyro

Nice to see the backdrop in place Mike. Will look spectacular with mountain peaks painted on it. I love that big sweeping curve in the foreground.
    What radius is it?
  16. cpr_paul

cpr_paul Member

That is fantastic. When are you moving to Toronto to help on my layout? ;)
  17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Mountain peaks 'paited on it!?' I'm going to actually make the mountains!
  18. Matthyro

Can't tell from the photo but the background should be blue to represent sky shouldn't it.
  19. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Sorry Robin, I didn't see the question about the radius, I used 34" on the entire layout. I'm not going to paint that new part of the backdrop because, it will have 2 mountain peaks about 7 feet high. One over the spiral tunnels,( at the back right of that picture) and one one the right side about half way.(that's what the track will be going around) I have an idea what it will look like in my head!
  20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I have my DCC up and running now, do you want to come over now!?