My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Mike, each time I revisit this thread I find you have impressed me again.
    I wish I had the time and space, not to mention the talent you have.
    Awesome layout, man.
  2. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Of course Robin! That's the whole idea, isn't it! :D
  3. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I took out about 25 feet of mainline last night, and have it all put back down. I moved it back so that it is about 3" from the backdrop, this will give me more roon for, you guessed it, MORE INDUSTRY! I had to pull out the auto compund I just put in, but I have that back down too. Here is a picture of it now. There is a very nice, gentle 'S' curve in the mainline now, just to the bottom left. I soldered 2 pieces of flex track together to make it seemless.

[​IMG]

The track the 2 GP9's are on will be the new industrial lead.

[​IMG]

And here is the area where the new industry will be, it is 13"x 9 feet. I'm thinking a saw mill, to get woodchips for my paper mill in Ottertail.

[​IMG]
  4. dwight77

dwight77 Member

Your layout just seems to go forever and is probably the envy of every model railroader who reads your posts. I have tried to keep up with all the posts. But I do not recall ever seeing a complete layout drawing nor a reference to the overall size of the layout. Can you share this information.
    Dwight77
  5. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Dwight, from the size of it I think Mike must live in an airlane hanger. :D

Seriously, I know that it is the largest personal layout I have ever seen.
    And one of the neatest as well. Mike you do great work, thanks for sharing and keep us updated. :thumb:
  6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I did have a track plan at one time, about 2 years ago, but the only part that would still be the same, would be the benchwork! I will have to draw another one soon. The layout is in my basement and it is 28' x 28'. There is about 400 feet of mainline from staging yard to staging yard, with 6, 18-20 foot sidings along the way. During a full op session, usually 10 people, there are 4 switchers,(2 yard switchers in Field, a road switcher from Golden, and a switcher at the paper mill.) There are 4 mainline manifest trains that start or terminate at Field, the main yard. There are also 3 or 4 unit trains (grain, intermodal or autos) that just run between the staging yards, and another 2-4 mixed manifest that don't do any work on line. Depending on if I have enough switcher crews to do all the work or not! It is always cool to have new guys come by for op sessions, so if you are ever in town, send me an email and I'll try to arange an op session.
  7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I'm experimenting with a new way of making hills. I'm using that expanding foam insulation, after it's dry, I carve it and sand it with a wood rasp.

[​IMG]

I did a test area last night and put some paint down and ground foam, it's just an experiment, so let me know what you think. It seems to act just like styrofoam
    after it's dry. It will be easier that trying to carve a piece of pink foam to the exact size, especially on odd shaped curves and stuff like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Just found this site today and spent half of it going through the longest thread I think I've ever seen on a forum.:D And loved every minute of it.:thumb: :thumb: Excellent job Mike.!
  9. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks ls1gto, and welcome to the Gauge! I actually was just going through some of the old posts, the layout has sure changed over the last 3 years. I think the benchwork is the only thing that is still the same! Good to have you on board at the Gauge!
  10. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Thank you for the welcome. More importantly thank you for the continuing info resource and entertainment. Its quite a treat to see someone invest all the time, money, work and effort and get to see the results with a regular update. As you said, so much has changed so I know this has afforded you an appreciation for what you have accomplished. I dont think too many folks outside of the hobby really appreciate what goes into a quality layout but this gives them a good birdseye view.
    Thank you again!!
  11. Molesplace

Molesplace New Member

4 hours and 20 minutes later...
    Thats how long (with restroom breaks, ect) it took to read this post. I've been reading and studing everyone's work in all of the forums but this was the most exciting thread so far. I thought I might document my work. Now I know I will! I feel like I just spent the last 3 years watching your basement evolve.
  12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks Molesplace, I should be installing the last of the switches next week, (20 of them)then all of the track should be finished, then I can start doing some more scenery. The layout sure has changed over the 3 years, and it has been a great learning experience.
  13. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Yeah, its alot better than 4 hours and 20 min. of TV, huh.:thumb:
  14. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I got some more industrial area track laid last night. Here are a few pictures...

The first one is the East Field Industrial lead coming off track N6, (the far left track)

[​IMG]

And a bit farther down the lead...

[​IMG]

Here is the Auto compuond on the right, it can hold up to 14 auto decks.

[​IMG]

This is the start of 'the park', or the East Field Industrial park. It starts with a run around track.

[​IMG]

This is the first 2 spurs, a track to load scrap metal on the left and another one that gets box cars on the right.

[​IMG]

Here is the rest of 'the park', I think everything at the end will be the plywood mill, with a track for tank cars, woodchip loading and a place to load plywood onto center beam flats.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot looking back at the new area.
    Another thing I did was to use medium switches on the entire area, now on the timetable, 6 axle units are prohibited from the East Field Industrial area. (adds a bit more intrest and planning durring an op session!)

[​IMG]

I did add a few more industries to the north side of the mainline too. Now there are a total of 5 industries on the north side. It will take some planning durring an op session to not block the main while switching these industries out, but that is part of the fun!

[​IMG]

:wave:
  15. cpr_boy

cpr_boy Member

Looking good...I still salivate everytime I see your progress reports!

Keep them coming

cpr_boy
  16. ls1gto

ls1gto Member

Yeah, these updates are taking way to long.:curse: ;) Looking good!:thumb:
  17. belg

belg Member

Mike, some real nice progress, I'm wondering were you have the pieces of wood against the wall will they be replaced with building flats?
    Could you perhaps take a shot of the underside to show the wiring ? Thanks Pat
  18. fifer

fifer Active Member

Mike , I have to agree with the rest of these guys . That is a fine layout and I think the new industrial area is a champ. I have truly enjoyed looking at what has been rightly named " My Progress".
    Thanks for sharing Mike , Mike :wave:
    PS , Hi Belg
  19. Yard Goat

Yard Goat New Member

About those industry spurs north of the main in Field

Mike,

Add me as yet another person who has just caught up on this thread from the first post. It was funny, as I read along, to look at the way your track plan went and to think "oh, I'd do that differently from him," then a few posts further down...WHAM! You've gone and made the same change I would have.

I'm also really impressed at how you balance your time between working on the benchwork and track, and painting and installing decoders in locies, etc. I also like how you work to get the mainline reconnected soon after you've made a change--so you can run trains over the whole mainline again. You never give yourself a chance to get bored with the layout.

Anyway, what I said about the track planning earlier: if I were you I'd only have one switch off the main to serve all those industries on the north side at Field--have them all come off a dedicated industry lead. I'd put in a runaround on the industry lead too, so your switcher can work the spurs in both directions without a hassle.

Looking forward to more updates on the Laggan Sub. BTW, this thread is better than reading about your layout in Great Model Railroads, MR, RMC or one of those. It feels like reading a novel.

Andrew
  20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I did think about that, but I don't think it will realy matter durring an op session, if a switcher has the main blocked, we can always run a train through through 'K' yard or 'N' yard. Each of those yards have dedicated leads, that can be used for run through trains. But I will have to see. You can plan all you want, but until you get 8 or 10 guys operating trains on the layout, you never know!