My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

The layout is lookin' good Mike, I also like your tractor seat stool. :thumb:
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It just gets better and better. Thanks for the update Mike.
  3. sams

sams Member

great progress mike!
    can't wait to see more pics,
    and some green ;)
  4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Now the mill tracks are almost finished, I've only glued the main mill lead and switches down, I still have to do the spurs, but I'll leave the track on them loose for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also changed the east end, I thought it was a bit too tight for 2 locomotives to go between the east end tracks, so I added a crossover, and a pulldown, or tail track. This will give the switcher lots of room to switch out cars from the east end of the mill now too. I'm going to make this track look all rusty and overgrown with grass and weeds, so it looks like a track that doesn't get used that much.
    [​IMG]
  5. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

My hat's off to you!
    I can't wait to see it in action!
  6. Matthyro

You have put a lot of energy and time on this section Mike to get the track correct. This should give you a ton of operating experience.
  7. Brewer

Brewer Member

Dude! I have serious basement envy!

Very professional job to say the least.
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I ran the first train into Ottertail last night, and did a test switching of the mill. I don't have all of the right cars yet, so I just used what I could find. What I quickly realized is that destination marshalling will have to be used. I mean, it will take way longer to switch out the cars if they aren't in the right order on the incoming train. And even if they are, this mill is going to take a LONG time to switch. It's 4300 scale feet from the west end of the woodchip track to the east end of the tail track. If you have to make too many passes back and forth, at switching speeds, it could take all night!

The west end, where the woodchip cars will be.
    [​IMG]

Chemical tanks and recycled paper.
    [​IMG]

More chemicals, Kaolin and box cars.
    [​IMG]

Warehouse and finished product tracks.
    [​IMG]

Overview.
    [​IMG]
  9. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Looking sweeter all the time Mike.

Heyyy... The Tick! SPOOONNN!!!

You been to the website for a petition to get it back on the air?
  10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I might need some ideas from the master builder that uses cardboard for buildings. (Robin!) I don't think I can afford to buy a bunch of Walthers kits! I'm going to TRY to scratch build everything for the mill.
  11. Matthyro

I didn't have much success so far with a paper mill Mike as I used the Whalters one as a pattern and it doesn't look as realistic as it should. I will be waiting to see how yours turns out
  12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I'm almost finished the new yard at Field. I still have to do the east end, but the west end is almost all done. I've labeled all the tracks on this picture. Shop tracks 3 and 4, will be going into the diesel shop eventually! N1 will hold about 35 cars and N6 will hold about 21, all the tracks in K yard will hold about 25 cars each. The 4 tracks in M yard will hold about 48 cars each. I had to expand the yard to handle all the new traffic for the Paper mill at Ottertail. There will be 2 trains, an eastbound and a westbound that will terminate at Field, so there is going to be lots of switching to do, with the new yard leads, a switching crew can work K yard, and one can work N yard without ever having to cross each other's paths.(In therory!) N yard will be a building yard for westbound trains. K yard will be a yard for eastbounds.
    There is going to be 4 switcher jobs.
    #1 Switcher, Field yard switcher
    #2 Switcher, Field Industrial
    #3 Switcher, Ottertail paper mill switcher
    #4 Switcher, Golden road switcher, (Golden industrial, runs to Ottertail and then to Field, and back again)

[​IMG]
  13. Matthyro

This yard is amazing Mike . Is it just like the real one at Field?
  14. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Irony

If this isn't irony I don't know what is. The master of cardboard and cerial boxes unable to create the places that supply the material he creates works of art out of. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D
  15. Matthyro

You just never know do you Clark!!!
    One day I hope to rebuild my paper mill and wnat to see what Mike does with his.
  16. SD90

SD90 Active Member

All the track is laid in Field now, here is a shot looking east. I backed a 40 car grain train through every track, and nothing derailed, or had any problems, so I guess I laid the track ok! The longest track in N yard will hold 32 grain cars. You never really know for sure until you try it. I don't think there will be any grain trains in this yard, as it will be for building eastbound trains.

[​IMG]
  17. Matthyro

Looks like you have an operating session going there Mike. Thanks for the photo
  18. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

That looks fun to operate :) Great picture!
  19. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Well since it's been about 3 years since I started building this layout, I thought it was time to start a new thread with updated pictures. Although there isn't much secenery still, I have been changing things around, and doing things like soldering feeders and wiring, things that don't look like there is much progress being done. I think things are almost ready to start going full steam ahead on scenery.
    We will start from the lower staging yard (Revelstoke) and go east...

[​IMG]

Between Revelstoke, and Golden...
    [​IMG]

West end of Golden...
    [​IMG]

A couple of industrial spurs at Golden, and the shop tracks...
    [​IMG]

Looking back at the yard, starting on the right side, Siding, Main Track, Track #1,2 and 3. The 3 yard tracks to the far left will only hold about 17,20 and 23 cars, but there isn't allot of traffic here.
    [​IMG]

A closer look at the Golden Switcher units and Caboose. CP SD45 #5490 and SD40 #5580.
    [​IMG]

East end of Golden...
    [​IMG]

Here is the west end of the Paper Mill at Ottertail, I've made some cardboard mock ups of buildings, for the time being, thanks for the ideas Robin!
    [​IMG]

More of the mill...
    [​IMG]

Looking towards the east end of the mill...
    [​IMG]

Looking back from the east end...
    [​IMG]

These are the Paper Mill switchers, CP SD40's #6411 and 6403.
    [​IMG]

Still going east, we come to the west end of Field. 'M' yard in the back, and 'K' yard to the front.
    [​IMG]

Middle of the yard.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the shop tracks and 'N' yard to the right.
    [​IMG]

Here is the far east end of the Field...
    [​IMG]

From here you start the 2.2% climb through the Spiral Tunnels and up to the second level. It is just over 100 feet to the second level.
    [​IMG]

The Field industrial switcher will pick up wood chips from here and take them down the hill for the paper mill...
    [​IMG]

Still going up the hill. I was going to hide this part, but thought that it would be better to keep it exposed, even though it is only a few inches wide.
    [​IMG]

The west end of Cathedral, this is a siding at the bottom of the Spiral Tunnels.
    [​IMG]

Around the curve at Cathedral.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Spiral Tunnels, I've started come scenery, but I'm still learning! I'm experimenting with lots of different techniques still.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pair of SD90's just going into the Lower Tunnel.
    [​IMG]

And a picture looking at the Upper Tunnel. The scenery in the front is not perminent, it is just better than sitting on the floor.
    [​IMG]

And that takes us about 250 feet over the layout. There is about another 150 feet to go on the upper level, I'll try to post more pictures of that, but not much has changed up there, YET!
  20. Matthyro

All I can say is WOW!!!!. One of the most interesting layouts I have ever seen. It looks like a club layout Mike. It is amazing to see what you have accomplished in three years.