My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I'm playing around with track and switches to see how I'm going to lay out the paper mill tracks. I'll post a few pictures, so let me know what you think. Any other ideas would be great!
  2. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I'm still planning out the layout of the mill tracks, so you will have to use your imagination a bit, I don't have the curves down. I've switched the direction the set off tracks come off the main, now they start on the East end. It gives me more room, and I wanted to try and get away from having the place look like a yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any comments would be great!
  3. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Wow, Mike, everytime I check out this thread I get more and more amazed. :eek:

I wish I had as much room as you have to devote to a layout. My little 11.5'x6.5' corner is dwarfed by your empire. :D

Keep up the good work and keep us updated. :thumb:
  4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Mike, this empire just grows and grows but I can see how careful you have to be laying out the track to give you the railroad you want. This is going to be some huge paper mill.
  5. train1

train1 Member

After talking to you on the phone today Mike, I came home after the Hamilton Club running night and had to see the post you mentioned.
    The other forum members weren't kidding....awesome job !

PS- the cheques' in the mail
  6. sschaer

sschaer Member

that looks cool, mike. i hope to drop in one day again to have another operating session. would be fun to do the switching job at that paper mill.
  7. pomperaugrr

pomperaugrr Member

Mike. The mill plan looks great. I can't recall if you are using the PECO medium or long code 80 turnouts. I like the look of the track flow. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Eric
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks everyone, all the switches on the layout are Peco long radius now.
  9. CN1

CN1 Active Member

Nha! You'll need a divorce lawyer :D :D
  10. pomperaugrr

pomperaugrr Member

Thanks Mike. That is really coming along nicely. I am pretty much restricting my layout to the Peco long radius turnouts on all main line trackage and most industrial trackage, except for one urban area and a small yard.

Eric
  11. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I have found that if you use the long radius turnouts, you will have far less problems with long rolling stock and big locomotives! And they look much better too!
  12. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

I have no issues with Peco mediums, #6, but overkill is never a bad thing!

Looks great, Mike!
  13. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I didn't really have any PROBLEMS with mediums, but I think it looks better when an SD90 pulling auto decks or other long cars goes over the long switches, but I guess I'll never haul a bunch of auto decks through the paper mill with an SD90!
  14. SD90

SD90 Active Member

With some more research, and playing around with the track plan, I've changed it a bit,(suprise suprise!) Here is what I have now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. SD90

SD90 Active Member

The Mainline is back up and running! I got it finished last night, and ran all the trains that had been sitting in the yard at Field through the new line. Now comes the FUN part of starting to lay the track in the mill! (Sorry about the mess, but I haven't cleaned up yet!)

From the west switch at Ottertail, (looking east)...
    [​IMG]

There is exactly 8 pieces of flex track, or 20 feet between the switches at either end of Ottertail.
    [​IMG]

Looking toward the east switch at Ottertail...
    [​IMG]
  16. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Your layout is magnificent Mike. The best is that you keep at it and make regular progress.
    Nice work
  17. Mike P

Mike P New Member

Impressive is an understatement, wow man you have really sunk your heart into this project and it appears to be going well. Thanks for postiong the progress and do keep us updated.
    Mike
  18. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

Freakin Sweet job on the layout, and I haven't even seen much GREEN yet.
  19. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks everyone, I have been running the layout for about a year and a half now, to make sure everything is good before I start doing too much scenery. However, there are a few areas with some green on the Laggan sub!
  20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

The yard,(or set out tracks) are all finished at Ottertail now. Tonight, I think the rest of the mill tracks will be done. Then I can start switching it out to see how everything works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the paper mill switchers, a pair of ex SOO LINE SD40's that CP was going to retire, #6403 and #6411. Eventually I'd like to get a few GP38-2's, but these will do for now.

[​IMG]