My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I got all the plywood down today for Golden. The siding is going to be about 19 feet long, and there will be an industrial siding/runaround track also. This will give me much more room for industries now, I plan on having 4 or 5 of them here. This is the west end of Golden,

[​IMG]

An overview of most of the town,

[​IMG]

Looking back to the east,

[​IMG]

and finally the east end of the yard, (or where it will be.) And the best part of all, I didn't have to buy any more plywood to do this! I found enough laying around to do everything.

[​IMG]
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Wow, this is going to be impressive Mike. I see you have a clock to remind you that you do need to sleep some of the time.:D :D :D
  3. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Now, there's the pot calling the kettle black!! :D :D :D
  4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Yes, it's amazing how fast time goes by when you are working on your layout! I have the contact cement down, when it's dry, I'll put the roadbed down and maybe some track tonight!
  5. SD90

SD90 Active Member

The contact cement took longer to dry than I thought last night, but it's all dry now, and waiting for the track to be laid. I should have it done tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. OwenCPR

OwenCPR Member

Mike,

Looks great! Are you still thinking about revising the Louise passing siding or is that the next project?

How was the op session at Grant's this week? Will call when I get back in town.
  7. chipmonk

chipmonk Member

wow!

im an HO guy myself but i wondered in here and WOW this layout is huge! love the photos keep up the good work!

Chris
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Well I got all the track done last night, here it is, sorry about the color of the pictures, I didn't have time to play around with the camera settings!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. b28_82

b28_82 Member

this is very inspiring for when i get the space to do such a thing. I had to look at posts from the beginning, that alone took a couple hrs to get to todays post. You sure have gotten a lot done in a years time. Keep it up.
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It sure didn't take you long to get the track laid and trains running Mike. You must have had a long weekend off to get this much done.
  11. CPRail

CPRail Member

how much do u think u have spent in total on your rolling stock and locomotives? Just wonderin
  12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

-Robin, I did have the weekend off, I still have to solder the feeders on the track for this whole area, but for now, it works! I couldn't wait to get a train on the new siding.
    -CPRail, I don't want to think about it, but my wife says we could have paid off our car!
  13. SD90

SD90 Active Member

It's been a while, but I finally have some update pictures for you on my Laggan Sub. I had an operating session on Sunday night, and I think it went well. 5 operators, the new yard worked great, and we even had a local go from Field to Golden and switch out the 3 industries there. Owen brought over his E8's and new Kato passenger cars and ran them over the layout too.

Here are the E8's and the passenger train going through the Spiral Tunnels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new industrial spur at Glenogal.

[​IMG]

The new industrial spur just east of Field.

[​IMG]

Here is the new mainline and yard lead on the east end of Field. The 2 yard leads are long enough to pull out and switch any track in the yard, without blocking the mainline now, so there can actually be a switcher at each end working the yard and 2 mainline trains can still meet in Field!

[​IMG]

The west end main and yard lead.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the west end of Field, there are 4 main tracks at the back, (each track will hold 45-50 cars) then 6 yard tracks to the front.( They will each hold 24 Intermountain grain cars.) That's a 49 car coal train in the first track.

[​IMG]

A look at the west end and the the 5 track diesel facility.

[​IMG]

You get a better idea of where all the tracks go from up in the news chopper!

[​IMG]

And from the east end.

[​IMG]

Not all the tracks are glued down yet, and I still have to solder more feeders on to everything, but at least I can run mainline trains again, and a few locals! I really should get going on some scenery, but I want to make sure I have everything where I want it, and everything runs good before I start too much of scenery.

Here is another picture from the operating session, a westbound grain train just coming out of the upper Spiral Tunnel.

[​IMG]
  14. fifer

fifer Active Member

Hi Mikie! the progress looks great.
    Have you started any scenery yet?
    I can't wait to see a mountain over that tunnel.
    Mike
  15. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

You're making me drool, even without scenery.
  16. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

:eek: Mike, impressive, that's all I can say, impressive. :eek: :wave:
  17. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

I haven't been here for a while and I had to go some pages back to be updated :) There still isn't much scenery but that's not the main issue at the moment, everything has to run fine in the first place ;)

Last week I recieved a big jar of fine balast for my layout! I still got to investigate a few things and make some important decisions before I'm going to lay the main line at the first module. Theres a big turn with some camber and I have to plan it out carefully before I lay anything down. Exciting times are approaching :)
  18. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

You might allready seen the layout from Swissengineer, you can find all his pictures here. I like the way how he did it. These might be good reference shots for us Mike? :)
  19. belg

belg Member

Mike that is some impressive work!!! I would like to understand though why the tracks are broken down the way they are as you can tell I have NO real train experience. In other words what does the second set of ladder??? tracks allow you to do? and how does one begin to operate and wire something like this?
  20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

-belg, ok, here it goes,
    -Entering the yard from the west;
    -If you are a run through train, you will take the main track lead,
    [​IMG]
    which will bring you in on one of the 4 tracks to the back of the yard.(I've called them M1-M4)
    [​IMG]
    Most trains will need extra locomotives cut in to make it up the Spiral Tunnels, which is why on the east end, there are 2 tracks that will hold locomotives that are ready to be cut in to trains going up the hill. (shop tracks 1 and 2) These 2 tracks are double ended, and are connected to the yard tracks too, there are another 3 stub tracks (shop tracks 3, 4 and 5)that will go to the diesel facility, and all 5 of these tracks are joined to the yard lead on the east end as well, so if M4 is blocked or is having locos cut out, you could still use the east yard lead to add locos to a train going up the hill, or take them off a train entering Field.
    [​IMG]
    -If you have any cars to set off in Field, you will take the yard lead, which will bring you in on one of the 6 yard tracks. (I've called them K1-K6)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've built the ladders opposite, so each tracks is exactly the same length, (long enough for 24 cars) the east end ladder is connected to the east yard lead, and each yard lead is long enough to hold 24 cars and 2 locomotives, so they can be switched without tying up the main tracks. That's about it, I wanted the diesel facility somewhere that would be accessible from either yard, as it will be a big part of operations on this layout. If you see that switch on the west end of K6 with nothing attached to it yet, that is for 3 tracks going to the car repair shop, and another 3 tracks for caboose and switcher locos to sit in the east end of the yard. I'll finish them next. The switch on the east end that goes nowhere yet, is going to be for the wye, which also isn't there yet.
    Sorry this post is so long, but I hope this explains what is going on in the yard a bit better.