My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. belg

belg Member

We'll have to cut you some slack so you can study I guess, good luck on your tests Mike. The one guy over at Atlas is already trying to get you in trouble for giving out free rides.:D Is this something that you will do full time? No more "cable guy"?
    Pat
  2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Scenery, Yeah, thats the way to go. Guess you will have a long wait before its fully scenic. Please post more photos with the start of the scenery.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  3. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

When I see those sidings then I really want to add one on my own z-scale layout, I'm going to look into it :)

Scenery!!!, I can't wait to see a bit of green on your layout mike! :D
  4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I've been getting some help from Fred, he is showing me some tricks on scenery. We got the backdrop up, the valence installed, and have started roughing in the scenery on the spiral tunnels. Here is a few pictures of what we have been doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
    Mike.
  5. fifer

fifer Active Member

Mike , you have started the next step . The way you work I would guess all the scenery would be done in 2 weeks.;)
    Mike

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  6. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Looking good MIke:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  7. SD70BNSF

SD70BNSF Member

Valence Contruction

Mike,

Would you mind posting some pictures and some construction details of how you are making the valances, what you intend to do with them, what type of lighting, etc. I am about to start that stage of construction on my own layout, and could benefit from additional input. I figure I would put up the valences before I start the benchwork, that way it will be easier to work on with out having to lean over benchwork.

Thanks!
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Power transfer!

The Laggan sub just got 5 SD40's from Ray's layout, they will be sent to the paint shop soon, but not before hauling some trains around the layout! Thanks Ray!

Attached Files:

9. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Chris, I'll take some pictures of the valence and post them, I'm just building them with 'L' girders attached to the celing. That should be good enough to hold it.

[​IMG]
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
    Mike.
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I like that saying Mike about getting old and playing. I must admit, I do not feel my age and it's because of this wonderful hobby.
  11. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is a picture of the front of the layout, we have the facia up and the profile laid out for the hill.

[​IMG]

And this picture, you can see the flourscent lights above, I'll need another 4 foot fixture, but this will do for now.
    [​IMG]
  12. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

Hey Mike, I'm using a simulair methode for my hills. But in Z-scale everything is so small, I just lay the foam boards right down and cut those up into the desired shape.

Here is a nice example, you'll understand what I explained above :):
    [​IMG]
  13. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hi Mike! :wave:
    It looks like you guys are doing some FANTASTIC work!
    Wow! What a layout! :eek:
    It's great to watch it all coming together!
    :cool: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:
  14. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

Very nice, Mike, and SmolderZ!
    I can't wait to see more of Mike's layout!
    SmolderZ, where do you get your trunouts, and what brand? I was looking very hard at getting Wright Turnouts for my wife's Z layout.
  15. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

I'm using Marklin turnouts for my Z layout, you should be able to order those easely at your hobby shop.

[​IMG]
  16. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Ok, I haven't done very much since the last set of pictures, but here are 2. I took up the track at Golden, and I'm going to put down plywood under the entire town, there is going to be a mainline, passing siding and 4 industries in Golden.

[​IMG]

Before I isolated the lower staging yard, I had to move all the trains out, so for now, Field is a staging yard!

[​IMG]
  17. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It is amazing how many of us change the layout as it develops. I guess seeing it on paper doesnt always work out the way we want it too. Thats a big change you are making Mike but I am sure it will result in improved operating.
  18. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Robin, I don't know if any amount of planning would result in a layout that in the end, was exactly the same as it was on paper. My layout is 'evolving' as I operate it. I found that the siding in Golden was too short for the trains I'm running now, it would hold 27 cars and 1 locomotive, and I'm running at least 33 car trains now, so when it's done, it will hold about 40 cars and 2 locos. I might as well make it long enough so I don't have to do this again! Also, with the plywood under the whole area, I won't have to plan out exactly where I want the industries to be or how to configure the tracks.
  19. fifer

fifer Active Member

Great Progress as usual Mike!!!

I love it!!
    Mike

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  20. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Awesome! :thumb: :cool: