My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. Rogerjr

Rogerjr New Member

great job

I am speechless your layout is super. plus i love the attention to detail hope to see pics soon and good luck!

Roger
  2. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Well, I finally got the Spiral Tunnels finished, well, sort of! I got them finished enough to run a train down and back up. It's still not joined to the main yard yet, but I just had to see a train run through them. Grant came over today and helped me get the grade perfect, then I laid the roadbed and track tonight. Here are the results...

Here is the 31 car grain train just about going into the upper tunnel.

[​IMG]

I thought a 28 car train would cross itself, but I made the tunnels 24" radius instead of 22, so it turns out that 31 cars will just do it on the upper tunnel.

[​IMG]

Here is the same train heading west just before the lower tunnel...

[​IMG]

Here it is just exiting the lower tunnel, I'll need about 40 cars to cross over itself on this one, I might be back to running 40-50 car trains now just to see them cross over themselves!

[​IMG]

Mike.
  3. Sir_Tainly

Sir_Tainly Member

Great work Mike, I was just thinking how different that shot is going to look when it is sceniced. Might be nice to restage that photo then and do a "before and after" shot.

Keep up the great work

Simon

PS did you get my email the other day? Some of mine haven't been getting through I'm told.
  4. fifer

fifer Active Member

Hi Mike

Mike , The layout is looking real good and this section in particular seems to flow very nicely. Thanks for the update photos , it's always nice to see your progress.
    Mike

:thumb: :)
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Just like the real thing Mike. You have captured the "feel" of the spiral tunnels perfectly. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  6. Hoss

Hoss Member

Mike, can we trade layouts? I want yours. ;)
  7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I don't know how I'd move my layout!
    Here is a shot of the new hill from over the back drop.

This is the old hill....

[​IMG]

Mike.

Here is the new one...

Attached Files:

8. storm

storm Member

wow mike i woudl fly out there just to see your layout.
  9. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

Great progress there Mike!, I'm keeping an eye on your spiral tunnel, I bet I can learn from it. Please post as many pictures as you like :)
  10. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here are a few pictrues of a stack train I ran down the Spiral Tunnels, today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike.
  11. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is the back side of the new hill. I joined the 2 levels again, so I can once again run trains over the entire layout!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike.
  12. SD70BNSF

SD70BNSF Member

How about Double Stacks?

Mike,

Have you tested double stacks through the tunnel portals yet? May have to "elevate" to get enough clearance. The new reworked section is looking great. Keep it up.
  13. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I know, I saw that too, I'll have to make them about 1/16th" higher, but for now, it will give everyone an idea of where the tunnels will be. I don't have enough containers to run double stacks anyway!

Mike.
  14. storm

storm Member

i dont know if this as been asked and i am to lasy to go back and look so i will ask. do u have a track plan. and what is the grade in your new tunnels 2%????
  15. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I keep changing the track, so my track plan is out dated, but I'l see if I can find it and post it again. The new grade is 2.08%, a bit less on the curves in the tunnel, I think it's about 1.95. 3 SD40-2's will pull a 36 car train, but I think I'm going to start playing around with using helpers and DPU's a bit more, so all the power isn't at the front.

Mike.
  16. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Talking about portals , here I have tried to enlarge a photo of the upper portal of the lower spiral to give some idea of the height of the real thing.

Attached Files:

• lp.jpg
      lp.jpg
      File size:
      26 KB
      Views:
  17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

The real tunnels are about 58 feet from rail head to rail head. I couldn't quite make that much of a climb, well I guess I could have, but I was more concerned about reliable operation. My track is about 40 feet between rail head, so it might be a bit hard to put a hill in, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Mike.
  18. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

58 scale feet is only about 4 inches....
    From railhead to railhead, it seems to me that you have almost that much! BTW, If I could convince my wife to let me take a trip to BC, I would visit your layout!
  19. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I had to do it sooner or later, so I thought I'd share the pictures. I put together a 100 car train in the lower staging yard and ran it around to the main yard. 2 SD90's pulled it all the way! I couldn't believe it. Anyway I had trouble finding a spot where I could get the whole train in a picture, but here they are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think I'll be running this train up to the second level, it might not like being folded on itself 3 times through the spiral tunnels. I think 50 cars will be the limit on this layout. I wonder how long the MT couplers would last with this kind of abuse?

Mike.
  20. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: