My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. fifer

fifer Active Member

Can't wait for scenery

Hey Mike , I just had a chance to go through all the pictures and I could almost smell all the lumber and contact cement.
    I love all those long trains and runs,but not one person has told you what a great furnace and water heater you have!! Just kidding!
    The layout is a true piece of ART.
    Mike

:thumb:
  2. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Well this is all I managed to get done over the holidays, I got CP SD40 #6403 finished and installed MT's and a decoder (DN163K1a) in it. So it's all ready to go, here is a shot of it. I still have to weather it, it's much too clean! Actually, I installed MT's on all of my locomotives, so I guess I got a bit more done than I thought.

Mike.

Attached Files:

3. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is the prototype loco, you can see I've got to make my model look a little more used!

Mike.

Attached Files:

4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Hi Mike. Great job so far. Show us the comparison after you weathe it.
  5. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Well... I just returned from seeing Mike's layout in person. These pictures are good, but don't do it justice in terms of the great expanse that this layout truly is. I also saw his work in progress on the Spiral Tunnels, and it will look very impressive once finished.

Mike, personally, a big thank-you for letting an out-of-town interloper come in and see things in person! Thanks also for the preview of what you have in store for other parts of your layout. :) I look forward to seeing it in development...

J
  6. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

SD90 I'm going to Canada next summer, maybe you live near the place I'm going to visit, I could pay you a visit too! :D
  7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I'm kinda jumping around with projects on the layout, but here is the new work bench area, I moved it under the stairs, so I now have more room now, (it's 35"x64") and it doesn't take up any floor space. I put 3, 25W flourscent lights (equivilant to 100W each)uner the stairs to light the area. Here are a couple of pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike.
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Another benifit of the new location of the work area, is this, I'll show you what I'm thinking of doing...

Here is the edge of the workbench, about 40" off the floor.
    [​IMG]

Behind the water heater and the lower staging yard...
    [​IMG]

Oh look, there is the benchwork and the back side of the backdrop for the lower level...

[​IMG]

A bit closer...

[​IMG]

Here is the other side of the backdrop...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could put a branchline/single staging track in off of the main yard, that would have the added benifit of being able to bring locos and rolling stock from the layout, right to the work area, to work on paint or weather!

Mike.
  9. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Genius! That's a good idea! :)

I like the "feel" of your layout room. The work area seems cozy and you can get a warning of intruders by the creeping noises the stairs will make when people walk down them. :D
  10. jkristia

jkristia Member

ok, now I curious, what are all those antenna cables?, looks like you have TV and network connection in every room (and about 20 rooms?).

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but do you have clear plastic covering the insulation? if not, then you might have problems with dust a couple of years from now.
  11. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Wow Mike, do you ever stop for a breather?
    You sure get a lot done in such a short time.
  12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I am a cable guy, so when I built my house, I wired 2 cable and 2 Cat5E to every one of the 20 outlets, you guessed right! I only have 2 tv's in the house, but I can out one where ever I want. There is a plastic vapour barrier over the insulation. I didn't get around to drywalling the basement before the layout went up, but oh well.

Mike.
  13. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Mike. I agree with Robin. Do you ever rest? looking great.
  14. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I rest, ususally that's when I dream up ideas for the layout!

Mike.
  15. pomperaugrr

pomperaugrr Member

The track to the workbench is a great idea, plus a little more hidden staging is not a bad idea. Thanks for keeping the rest of us motivated! Your progress is astounding!

I can't wait to see the track in place and trains running through the spiral tunnels. Keep the pictures coming!

Eric
  16. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara New Member

How about an update, or is there another thread?
    Mark
  17. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara New Member

Ooops, looks like I posted my previous reply before I checked to see what page I was on. Great site here!
    Mark
  18. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

Aha, an electronic wiz, I knew it Mike! ;)

I want to see some green!, when do you got the courage to add some scenery? some parts must be ready for scenery by now! :D
  19. Nscale4

Nscale4 Member

Man, that is one awesome layout! :eek:
  20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks everyone, I know I don't have any pictures yet, but the Spiral Tunnels are almost ready to start laying the cork roadbed and track, and I hope to have trains running over them next week, then I'll post pictures. I have changed the grade to just over 2% (2.08%) from about 2.25%, and made the siding just before the lower tunnel, level now, (the siding on the old hill was on a grade, not the best idea.) Anyway, back to work!

Mike.