My work in progress!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by CPRSD40-2, May 22, 2003.

1. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here are a few attempts at weathering some rolling stock and locos. It's my first try, so I imaginge I'll get better at it, I hope!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car on the right is right out of the box, for comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike.
  2. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Nicely done Mike by not being over done.

Good to see your locos starting to look like they've been out in revenue service.

Gavin
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Great weathering Mike. I really like the CN box car as it looks just like the real thing. Not that the others don't but something about it caught my eye.
  4. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

They look great!

I'm going to keep my brass locomotives crisp and clean though :)

Is this the same spiral tunnel??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it is! :D I'm building a part of it in Z-scale.

I figured it out, you took your picture when you left the lower spiral tunnel (see "spiral tunnel view point" board)

I'm building the upper tunnel part :), I seen the upper tunnel one time on TV, didn't find a picture of it yet.
  5. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Cool pictures SmolderZ! That is the same tunnel in the first picture, I also like the picture that shows the route of the tunnels.

Mike.
  6. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Well, I got the sub-raodbed in last night, I still have to get the grade right, but now you can see the layout of both tunnels.
    Here is the lower tunnel, it is almost the same angle as the upper tunnel, but it is below Field on my layout, so I'll call it the lower one. (they are backwards, but it's one of thoses modelers liscence things!)

Mike.

Attached Files:

7. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is the Upper tunnel...

Mike.

Attached Files:

8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Here is an overview of the whole thing. I hope to screw the risers to the roadbed and have the grade all done over the next week, then I can get the cork roadbed down and track laid and take a test run over the new tunnels.

Mike.

Attached Files:

9. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Mike, most impressive... seriously...

I've been on the Kicking Horse pass enough times to be impressed... and now you're actually managing to pull it off in your basement!

Methinks I may give you a call once I'm in Calgary... check your private messages...
  10. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

I have never seen KHP, but I think your representation of it is pretty accurate! Kudos!
    I can hardly wait to see it running! Will that area require helpers and DPU? I see it may have on the prototype, will your version also?
    Wow, you may want to buy stock in Woodland Scenics... It'll require THOUSANDS of trees to forest that layout of yours!
  11. SD90

SD90 Active Member

It depends on how long the train is, if I keep them to about 25 cars, 3 SD40-2's will be enough, anything more than that, and I'll need helpers or DPU's, (or maybe both!) It's going to be a bit scary running a DPU on the end of a train going up through those tunnels, I'll have to make sure the track is perfect first. I think 25-30 cars will be long enough to cross over itself.

Mike.
  12. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

That's where DCC shines!
    You can tweak the CV's for the speed tables, accel/decel tables, voltage start, mid/max, to perfectly match the speeds of all the locos in the consist, so that you don't have too many problems with stringlining, pullaparts, and other such nasties.
  13. SmolderZ

SmolderZ Member

SD90 please go to my Z-scale topic and check out my spiral tunnel plan, you'll be amazed by it's size :)
  14. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Very realistic Mike, I too have driven through the spiral tunnel area a number of times and always stop to see the action. Nothing better than to see 6 locos growling their way up from Field.
  15. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Thanks guys, however, like Robin said, 6 locos growling their way 'UP' from Field. On my layout, Field is on the upper level, at the top of the spiral tunnels, SO..................................................................................................................................................... you know what that means, my main yard is Calgary right now, I'm thinking of changing it to Field, so you actually would go up from there. It would change the direction of the layout too, but will make it more realistic. I'll wait till I get this hill put back together, then, in January, I'll start on Calgary, or Field, whatever, you know what I mean, my main yard! The siding at the top of the tunnels would be Lake Louise, and the upper staging yard would be Calgary. The lower staging yard could be Revelstoke or something like that.

Mike.
  16. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Wow Mike. How may actual miles of track do you think it will take?
  17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I've got 11 scale miles of track down right now, and I added another 1 scale mile with the new spiral tunnels, so all together it's about 12 scale miles of mainline, or almost 400 feet.

Mike.
  18. OwenCPR

OwenCPR Member

Mike,

I'm very envious. Have just joined the forum as it seems to have more Canadian content - no offence to our American members! - than the other forums do. I have three questions:

- Where is the dreaded Dearfoot going to go at the south end of Alyth yards????

- Your first track plan showed Okotoks (my home town), High River, and Nanton....I know you've changed the plan to be more realistic to the Laggan Sub....no room to put the north / south CP line as a branch off the Calgary yards???

- I've searched in vain for an N scale Club in Calgary....do you belong to one and if so is it accepting members???
  19. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

Owen,
    Mike has a layout that some clubs might envy!!!!
  20. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I don't think I'm going to try to model Calgary, my main yard will be Field, then when you head east, you will actually be climbing, up to the spiral tunnels, just like the real thing.

Mike.