My weathering

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by CAS, Apr 5, 2007.

1. CAS

CAS Member

This is my first loco that i have tried weathering. It's not over done. I am happy with the results.

Atlas MP-15DC
    Let me know what you all think.

[​IMG]

I guess maybe i should have gotten in a little closer for a clearer shot. Still learning with my new digital.

CAS
  2. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

You should learn how to shoot close-ups ( macro ).
    Generally, the symbol for that is a flower.

At least I can distinguish some rust on the trucks, so from far away it looks like a good start.
  3. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

So you found some money under that mattress of yours for a new camera! What kind did you and up getting?
  4. CAS

CAS Member

Found some money. I bought the Kodak C530 digital camera. I did get it for a very good price on e-bay. It looks like im having trouble zooming in. I have tried all different settings to get a close up pic. But as you can see, the are coming in blurry. I don't know if it's because im not useing a tripod? If i can't figure it out with this camera, i might just go out and buy the Canon PowerShot A630, or Kodak EasyShare Z612.

Here are a few more pics,

This 1 is a n scale box car.

[​IMG]

This next 1 is a HO covered hopper,
    [​IMG]

This next 1 was another experiment. Every time i take a pic that i really don't want, or need. The come out the clearest of them all. Same settings, same distance, and no tripod.

[​IMG]

I just can't figure it out.

CAS
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

As Biased turkey mentioned, there should be a setting for close-ups: on my Kodak it looks kinda like a tulip - well, it didn't really, until I read the manual, which pointed it out. :rolleyes:
    Another feature that I found, surprisingly, also in the manual :eek:, is that if you partially depress the shutter button, the camera will focus itself on the subject: on mine, you can hear it adjusting. Then take your picture.

Wayne
  6. CAS

CAS Member

As i mentioned above, i bought the Kodak C530. On this camera, there is no setting that looks like a flower or tulip. I reread the manual, i went to Kodak site for the manual there. And nothing there. I guess i learned a lesson. You get what you pay for :oops: :oops: .

Now i am liking into buying the Canon PowerShot A630, and Kodak EasyShare Z612.

CAS
  7. CAS

CAS Member

Here are some new photo's.
    They came out alot better this time around.
    Very happy with this new camera:) :thumb: , Canon PowerShot A530.

The first one is my Atlas MP15-15DC
    [​IMG][/url]

And a CNW box car.
    [​IMG][/url]
    [​IMG][/url]

CAS
  8. erikstoll

erikstoll New Member

looking great, and much better quality pictures
    you can never go wrong with a cannon, ever.
  9. darkcurves

darkcurves Member

Nice weathering there.
  10. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Good choice for the camera , I have a Canon PowerShot A530 too.
    The improved pictures do justice to your weathering job.
    That MP15-15DC looks like it saw plenty of action.
  11. SeriousSam

SeriousSam Member

wow, that mp15 is ridin' dirty. looks good
  12. CAS

CAS Member

It has done seen all the switching action on my line. Due to low funds of the company at this time. Not enough money in the budget to purchase a used 1, to help out with the switching. Thats what we keep hearing from the CEO.

Thank you for the compliments.

CAS
  13. joesho

joesho Member

i own the kodak easyshare c653, its quite good! nice wheathering too
  14. CAS

CAS Member

Here is a new Atlas, CNW GP-40 with a little bit of a black wash.
    [​IMG][/URL]

Next is also a new Atlas Sante Fe SD-26, it is a before picture. I really don't know how i'm gonna weather it.
    [​IMG][/URL]

Next 2 cars are new Athearn covered hoppers. Which i need some help with. I know i want to add a very lite black wash to them. But not really sure what color to add for a grain looking color. I am modeling in the midwest region.
    [​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

What i am thinking, adding some tan color ground cover on top of the hoppers to simulate grain? Is this a good idea, or not?

Thanks,
    CAS
  15. doctorwayne

The CNW GP40 looks good: not too dirty - it looks used but well-cared for. For weathering your grain hoppers, the same wash that you used on your CNW boxcar would work well. Any grain that spills on the roof would either slide off and fall to the ground, or be eaten by birds right from the roof. Grain can be very dusty, but this generally washes off with the first rain. When making washes for rolling stock, don't be afraid to use colours other than black or grey. Varying shades of brown look good when applied over most colours, and a thin wash of some shade of boxcar red on boxcar red cars will tone-down the starkness of the lettering without making the car look too weatherbeaten. In fact, this technique can be used, either as a wash or a spray, with almost any colour. Use a colour similar to that of the car (it doesn't have to be an exact match), and make sure that it's well thinned - for spraying, I use about 90% thinner, and even more for washes. Simply apply successive coats to achieve heavier weathering.

Wayne
  16. CAS

CAS Member

Thanks doctorwayne for the compliment.

For the hoppers, i want to add just a little of weathering so the cars still look like my crew is doing there job. Don't want to go overboard.
    I may just add a lite coat at the bottom, for a dusty effect. And add some rust color to the trucks, and wheels.

The Santa Fe is gonna be a problem for me. Not too sure what color is gonna work on this loco. I guess i will do a google search fo some pictures. And go from there.

CAS
  17. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

18. GN.2-6-8-0

GN.2-6-8-0 Member

This here is one of my first try's at weathering a brass steamer ' titled it needing a wash :twisted:

Attached Files:

19. doctorwayne

Nice lookin' loco. ;):thumb::thumb:

Wayne
  20. railBuilderdhd

railBuilderdhd Member

Here are a few picture of my first try at weathering. I've only done a wash and added the chalk for rust at this point. I'm using my Nikoncoolpix p4 then I resize the 8mpixal image in photoshop.

Attached Files: