my very first design c-47

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by yaniv, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Next you would loft the curves for the bottom of the fuselage and then you would have to unroll the surfaces seperately and paste them together. I hope this has been useful. Obviously this method won't translate directly to your C-47 but the techniques can be adapted. I should note that even though I traced the lines off the imported bitmap I still had to tweak them to get it right(remember rule #1?). This tutorial totally bypassed all that to show the method in it's most basic form
  2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

thnkas alot to any 1
    thanks will for your great help and time

i will tray it all tomarow coz now its to late for me i hope to make my model looks like yours
    your 3d work its just outstending
  3. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Yaniv: I do not know much about design, but I do know the C-47 and yours is coming along well! Good luck!

Jim
  4. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

thanks u jim for the good word i hope to make agood model that of us can enjoy it
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

@Willja, that was very informative, thank you for sharing. I only use the rails for simple tubular or conical shapes. A fuselage like a DC 3 would be easy that way but you way is extremely "cool". Sometimes on Rhino I find that I cannot unroll the surface after it is lofted. It is probably because I made it to complicated. One cannot argue with your results however. I am going to try doing more lofting on my final "My Ekranoplan" model as soon as I recover. Thanks for the insight.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

Will

As far as I can tell the "shrink wrap" comes because the program does not have anything built in to tell it to progress evenly and in equal proportions of distance along the rails when sweeping. On more complex shapes of curves it sort of meanders about looking for shortest paths. (I've seen evidence of this in other programs too.) It's like hot wire cutting where not doing it smoothly will dip into the desired shape. As you have found, breaking the curves into more simple steps reduces the scope for uncertainty and I don't think there's much else can be done about it.

Cheers
    Maurice
  7. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi all

i make this 2 section today on the cocpit surface

u yhink its a good progres and look ok? or suld i delete tham?
    (still not found a way to make acocpit section )

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      189.9 KB
      Views:
  8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

put a 88mm gun in my head

i have no f** ida how to make the cocpit section :(
  9. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Just relax Yaniv you're doing pretty good. The top is a keeper and the bottom is close it just needs some tweaking. Your biggest challenge will be getting the flat panels that are the cockpit windows done right. For now delete your bottom section and concentrate on the flat parts. Try doing it first on your own. There are lot's of different ways to do things I don't want to limit you to my methods.

Take a carefull look at the side view shown in your previous post and see how the flat portion comes to a point about the same level as the bottom of the magenta line you drew in. Draw that panel in so it's larger than needed. I'll open up my B-25 stuff and give you an example in awhile.
  10. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i will thanks for your support and your help

can u please show me some close view of your b-25 cocpit section?
    i look at the a.d.d post u made and i see the b-25 section its looks very close to what i need to do in my c47

of if u have somthing more helpfull u have in your mind at the moment i warit this lines will be great

thanks again for your help not only for me so for all the members that intristing on making thar own models
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Okay Yaniv here is a another mini tutorial using my B-25 to simulate your C-47. As always it doesn't translate across exactly.

Here is my B-25 with the canopy.

Attached Files:

• b251.jpg
      b251.jpg
      File size:
      320.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Next off I have removed it so I can build a mock C-47 cockpit on it. On many aircraft the designer has the top of the nose continue past the windscreen into the cockpit for use as the top of the instrument panel. For simplicities sake in this model I just had it continue all the way to the next former.

Attached Files:

• b252.jpg
      b252.jpg
      File size:
      396.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Now I'm building a C-47 style cockpit on

Attached Files:

• b253.jpg
      b253.jpg
      File size:
      288.4 KB
      Views:
  14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Here is where you need to be careful. The windows on the C-47 are flat like a sheet of paper lying flat on a table and not twisted at all (at least from my limited studying of the craft). So to make the flat plane I copied the yellow line and moved it to the postion shown.

Attached Files:

• b254.jpg
      b254.jpg
      File size:
      254.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Next I lofted them to get a flat pane then used the extendsrf command to make it nice and big.

Attached Files:

• b256.jpg
      b256.jpg
      File size:
      266.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Next I drew a line from the corner of the green portion to where it intersects the fuselage and used that line and the fuelage to trim away the excess.

Attached Files:

• b257.jpg
      b257.jpg
      File size:
      318.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The way the C-47 is done that blue part would join with the fuselage without the gap that you see in my example. Like I said earlier you're going to have to do some tweaking to get it right unless you're either insanely lucky or insanely good or your drawings are extremely accurate and you traced them precisely. Bottom line be prepared for a little frustration tracking down the source of little wrinkles.

Edit:

Just thought I'd let you know I'm going out of town for a week so I won't be checking in. Hope I've managed to help.
  18. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

some good news :)

hi all

all the week i tray and tray and tray and read and tray and tray (stop me now)

at last tonight i make my first cocpit surfase on my first model
    also i add ather cruse and surface to the nose

i hope u like it and i hope i can lurn how to make my full cocpit this week (thats realy hard)

i hopw u enjoy the pic :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      665 KB
      Views:
  19. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

pic no 2 :)

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg