my very first design c-47

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by yaniv, Feb 17, 2007.

1. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi to all

after long long time i driving u all crazy about design
    i make some progres on my first design thanks to KOOKLIk

i know its not that prfect but i hope to make it one in some day :)

Attached Files:

• c471.JPG
      c471.JPG
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
  2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

one more :)

Attached Files:

• c472.JPG
      c472.JPG
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
  3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

last one for today :)

Attached Files:

• c473.JPG
      c473.JPG
      File size:
      132.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Looks good to me. My first attempts looked really ugly. Keep plugging the only way to learn is to keep trying till you gigure it out.
  5. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi will

thanks for your help and support

now i have problem making the cocpit section (the whait place in theright pic)
  6. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

BTW

i fix the noise section by adding ather cros section bitwin the start point of the model to the first section
  7. catalin

catalin Member

i think it has to many polygons, and you'll have some problems with unfolding

try making it a little more "brute"... in reality, when building it from paper, it will look ok

catalin
  8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

fixing the nose

u think its ok?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      174.4 KB
      Views:
  9. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

catalin can u please explain me more?
  10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I would use a straight line (curve) and "run 2 rails" to make the body parts. You could then unfold it in Rhino (UnRoll Developable Surface). It looks like you have a mesh connecting the body formers (bulkheads).
  11. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

zathros can u please explain me how i do that?
  12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yaniv, first, change the default settings for your surfaces to reduce the number of isolines used; Go to menu Tools/Options/General and change the isocurve density to 1 or 2. Then you will see better what is going on! The surfaces will be exactly the same, but your vision will be clearer.

Then, model the flat panels that make up the windscreen (cockpit windows). These are the 'eyes' of the aircraft, its soul, its character, get these wrong and your model will not have the correct appearance!

Then look at some photographs of a REAL DC-3, and see how the metal panels are joined on the real aircraft. You should be able to put in some curves from your fuselage frames to the window edges. Then you can make skins between the lines.

It is tricky, but ALWAYS look how the real aircraft is built. The original desinger had exactly the same problem you now have, so it is much easier to copy what is already done, than try to redesign it all over again!

Best of luck!

Tim
  13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I echo what Tim said. If you are serious about a project get every scrap of info you can about it. That will be rule number 2 in my tutorial (if I ever get around to it) the wording will change somewhat but it will be along the lines of "Know your subject as well as you know your significant other".

Okay, since I have been such a bum in regards to the tutorial saying I would do it then taking on another project I felt guilty and went back to Airwolf and prepared a mini tutorial on how to do the windscreen. Hopefully the techniques will be applicable to your model Yaniv. I also hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread.

Step one: Trace the side and top views of the canopy like so:

Attached Files:

14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

the highlighted elemets in the previous post are the most critical and it is essential that they be as accurate as possible. I kind of skipped a few steps and have my model to about the point that Yaniv is now. I placed the top view directly over the 3d portion of the model that I have completed:

Attached Files:

15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Next I extrude the curves from the top view down and the side view out:

Attached Files:

16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Then trim it so you end up with this:

Attached Files:

17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Now you have 2 edges that will loft nicely for your windshield. The highlighted lines in the pic are the lines that would be ideal if they could be selected and the lofted but that doesn't work to well.

Attached Files:

18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

If you loft the above mentioned lines you get this:

Attached Files:

19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

1st. Wungwinglow is light years ahead of me. Period
    2nd Do this as a lesson, not on your current model.

Open Rhino. Under Curves Select Circle. Make a circle. Size does not matter make a quarter sized one. Make a Copy of that circle right on top of it. Turn on Ortho to make it easier. Move your copy away from the circle so that one is on top of the other looking down from the top you should see one circle. Select "Curve", Turn "Osnap" on and make a check by "Near". Connect the 2 circles Top to Bottom circle with a Single line. "Select Surface" , under "surface" select "Sweep 2 Rails". Select the 2 circles one click at a time then select the line (It will ask you "Cross Section Curve) then press "Enter:. You should now see a surface connecting the 2 circles. To "Unroll" that surface under "Surface Tolls" select "Unroll developable Circle" and click the "Surface" just created. Press "Enter" and the Unrolled surface will appear at the center of the grid coordinates, easily seen under "Perspective". You can unroll anything connected with a "straight line". You can do ellipses connected to circles..etc. Practice with this and you will see. If you search "My Ekranoplan" you will see the model I am creating using this method from 3 view drawing given to me by Billy Levifeld (sp?) . I don't know how to use Pepakura and have done eerything with Rhino. I am currently stalled as I have some medical problems I am going thru. Good luck. This is only one way of doing it, there are many ways of doing things in Rhino and I am self-taught so I carry the limitations inherent with my knowledge.
  20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

As you can see the skin looks like shrink wrap (it's sucked in) instead of the nice straight lines we would normally want. Who knows in some applications this may be desired but it isn't here. I have not experimented with it enough to know but if you edit the curves and change the number of points and their locations on the curves you might be able to use the curves but I never figured out how to do it without trial and error so I split the curves up like so:

Attached Files: