my trains got the shakes!!!

ROD J H

Feb 6, 2006
is it normal for the n scale rolling stock to shake going down the rails? the box cars are worst,they vibrate and are not rock steady,it does not look too cool.when i had g scale rolled down the rails real smooth but they also have a lot of weight.i tryed adding weight inside the box cars but did not help much.Iam using atlas flex track with 22 inch radus.i was hoping for a more real looking train.are the HO scale trains more solid on the track.Iam pulling this 8 car train with a atlas sd60 diesel and it runs real smooth.

pooka2hot4u

May 30, 2006
well the most common reason for that would be either dirty wheels or crooked axles on the cars.
search around on cleaning wheels and if the axles are crooked you might have to buy new wheel-sets.
no need to switch scales

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
ROD J H said:
is it normal for the n scale rolling stock to shake going down the rails? QUOTE]

Sure if you're modeling the Penn Central! :) I model HO and have had some cars rock as you describe. for me it was usually a poor connection of the truck to the underside of the car...too loose a screw or if it was a plastic tab that plugged into a hole at the bottom of the car it was worn a bit or uneven.

Ralph

ROD J H

Feb 6, 2006
thanks for all the help,I found the problem.it was the plastic tab that goes into the hole on the truck. the hole is a little too large and uneven causing the box car to rock back and forth going down the tracks.a little thin tape around the tab makes it fit into the hole without so much slop and now the cars roll nice and smooth.these are new cars maybe I should buy the more expensive ones.these are $6.00 cars marked down to $2.99.thanks again guys
I will post some pictures when I get all the track down