My train video archive

LIRR

Dec 19, 2004
jmarksbery said:
:cry: Can't view them on my computer, using WinXP
You dont have the right codecs, Google "K-lite codec pack" or "defillerpack" and install them.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Welcome to the Gauge, Peter!

This is a fine collection of short videos - surely such short films can be of some help when modeling (in this case) British railways. I love the 'Dockland Experiance' clip, a fine engineers view movie. It reminds me of the BVE train simulator. :thumb:

I noted that there are steam engines as well as modern rail cars. Are these preserved steamers or did you a conversion of older film material?

Concerning watching the films: I have Windows XP, too, but I admit that I hate the Windows Media Player. So I'm playing almost every data format (pictures, movies, even sound) on the 'Irfan Viewer', a fantastic freeware program which you can also use to copy, resize, crop etc. pictures. You gan get it here. - in almost every language! :cool:

BTW - Real Player works fine under XP, too.

Ron

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Pete first off ,welcome to the gauge I hope you find all the info/help you are looking for.
I'm sorry I'm in the minority with the next statement but although I love the idea of the short video clips (which will help greatly when modeling) I have to say the qaulity of the video is poor and makes it hard to see the details you would want to model. I'm sure this has taken quite a while to produce, so I would suggest if your going to spend the time,I think its time to spend the money on a better camera. This being said I hope you continue to enjoy this hobby as I have, looking forward to seeing more ,Pat.

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Here's another tip that would make a great difference, even a monopod or a cheap tripod would stabilise the images greatly. You track some of the trains very well but handheld work (especially with small camera's) is very difficult as they are so light that the slightest movement is really noticable. Even a lightweight SLR tripod would help take out the large movements.

Short clips are definately a great idea, its really great to see current british stuff (I'm from just outside Cardiff)

It may also be a good idea to look up what settings your camera has for focus and exposure to see if you can set these manually. A lot of auto-focus handhelds can't refocus very well with fast moving objects (this is the camera not you) and you may be able to set this manually. I'm no expert though so you may want to do a little reading or ask some questions here on the gauge. I still use slide film (so I'm a little old-fashioned) with still but have done some assistant camera work on a documentary, so understand the importance of a tripod.

Keep up the good work!

Graham

meaby

Jan 24, 2005
Surrey
www.go.hostlite.co.uk
Updates

Glad you all like it I never expected such a great responce!

The reason for the poor quality is because im using a free website I cant upload anything over 1mb so I have to compress all my videos!

Another reason for the poor quality (jerkiness e.t.c.) is because I dont just go to certain places to take videos i go on traintrips, for example on monday im going again with my dad from ash vale to ascot, ascot to clapham junction, clapham junction to kensington and so on and its because of this that I dont have time to take long clips or use a tripod because once im finished filming I have to get on!

I had a read of my cameras manual but unfortunatly no zoom however their is a better quality setting that I will be using on my next trip (this monday) I will add another post to the forum when their uploaded, hope theirs a diffrence!

The steam videos are ones i've taken while working at the watercress line, at their steam galas and a few of mainline tours in my local train stations.

Once again thanks for all the great feedback and i hope you will like the videos i add next week.

Peter Meaby,