My Track Plan

Thanks to some help from Will Annand, I finally got a respectable track plan to post. The scan of my original pencil scribble just didn't cut it. Feel free to comment, although be kind as I've already got all the track laid. Overall size is about 8'x11', but it is on wheels so I can get to all sides. Yes, the reach to the upper left corner is way too long, I'll be installing a pop-up under the mountain.
Doc

Attachments

• bad western_6.jpg
    bad western_6.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 791

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Looks good Doc. I see one of your turnouts is over the lake. Better make sure it works properly or some of your rolling stock could be taking a bath. :D :D
Also, do your wheels roll smoothly? A bump could derail a lot of train. :cry:

Clark,
Here's a pic of the plate girder bridge I scratch built to carry the the switch over the water. I figured that the plate girders would be adequate to prevent my locos from taking a bath.
abq.sized.jpg

As to the wheel bumps, I'm sure I've got some. I need to finish placing the bridge and two trestles in order to run trains to work out the glitches.
Doc

Will_annand

Nice work Doc. :thumb:

Clark, it is the Wild West, they only take baths on Saturday night. :D

Doc, I like that 4-4-0 I have one just like it. One day I will dismantle mine to repaint it for the CVR.

sams

doc,
looks good,
i see you only have one connection between the two loops.
how about another one so you wouldn't have to go in reverse to get back?

Will,
The 4-4-0 is a great little engine. I plan (hope) to someday redecorate it as the "Wanderer" from the 1960's Wild, Wild, West TV show.

Sams,
I originally had two totally separate mainlines, without any connections at all. After I installing the trackwork, I worked in the single connection so I wouldn't have to play the hand of God to switch tracks. Although the track plan doesn't show it, the two tracks are at substantially different elevations. The connection I added is the only one that will work grade-wise.
Doc

besides, most old west trains weren't too long, a 'reverse' move would actually be pretty typical for the time. (but then, so was the dreaded 'Cornfield Meet'

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Thats a good layout for running two trains at a time with room for industries and such. If you can't put in a turntable as Will suggests a turning wye may help.

brakie

If you decide to add a turntable..As you may already know the turntable will be a "Armstrong" type where the crew turned the engine by pushing the turntable by hand. :eek:

Tileguy

That is just too wierd Will
What some folks wont do to make a nickle ;)

Nice layout for simple running and fun.
Of course back in them days you dont really have to have an operations plan.1 train per day,send it east till it gets robbed.Continue east and wait 5 hours for the buffalo to finish crossing the tracks.Back up 6 miles while indians chase you away from thier Buffalo.Have a Corn field meet with the 1 train heading west. Order 2 new 4-4-0's and hire 2 new crews to replace the expired ones.
do the same thing again Next week :D
Easiest operation plan i ever wrote ;)

Old Elmer sounds like just the kind of guy that would call Defiance home. I may just have to name a saloon after him, or better yet, make him the town undertaker.

I've got outlaws, buffalo, and indians, but no corn field. What's a corn field meet?
Doc

Will_annand

Now, Doc, you really should make it realistic. :wave:

Elmer was a loser as an outlaw, his crime spree lasted 6 months, they (Elmer and three friends) hit 2 trains and 2 banks... his share from all four was less than $200.00

His claim to fame was that after he was shot, his body was not claimed for years.
His body was taken to the Johnson Funeral Home and Joseph Johnson put him on display as the Oklahoma Outlaw.

So you need a Johnson Funeral Home with a casket and corpse on display in the front window. How much more "bad western" can you get? :thumb: :D

Not a bad idea Will, I'll have to give it some thought. I'd already planned on displaying the three losers at the OK Corral.

Back to my question, what's a corn field meet?
Doc

Tileguy

Cornfield Meet- 2 trains on a single track mainline,one going east,the other going west,both start at the same time and end up meeting in Iowa in some cornfield
Crash %^&$%^%$ I had the right of way you &^%#$^$&
I have T&TO authority you *&^^%$&^%*(
I'm a hot freight and have priority over T&TO you litlle *&^%$^&* back it up BOZO!!!

I think you get the picture :D :D