My take on easy trees

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
EASY TREES

I want trees and lots of them. I don’t however, have the patience to sit down and meticulously construct one tree at a time. I also don’t have the budget to buy box after box of Woodland Scenic’s ready mades. They needed to be cheap, quick and easy to make.
I experimented with three different alternatives…

Tree type #1
Mediterranean Garden - D03 328185
Some sort of manufactured floral accessory
Available at Michaels (an arts and crafts store)
Price - US $4.99 per bunch. Each bunch yields 30-50 trees.
DCP_6823.jpg

Tree type #2
Candy Tuft, Natural - 402202
Appears to be dried, authentic weeds of some kind
Also available at Michaels (an arts and crafts store)
Price - US $4.99 per bunch. Yield will depend on how big you make your trees – 20-50 trees.
DCP_6774.jpg

Tree type #3
Yarrow - a common weed in the northern hemisphere.
Make sure you use the dead, dried version.
As per Wikipedia,
A description… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarrow
A picture in its natural environment… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Achillea_millefolium.jpg
Price - As my parents have a whole ranch of them, I can collect as many as I like seasonally for free.
DCP_6829.jpg

A smaller version…

As the Mediterranean Garden plants have been manufactured, they come apart at the joints quite nicely leaving you with a perfect little tree. In the past, Nazgul and I have both tried painting them darker shades of green. I won’t be doing that this time.
DCP_6845.jpg

The Candy Tuft appears to be a dried weed, simply look at the ends of each bunch to “break off” appropriately sized trees. You can make them as large or as small as you like (within reason).
DCP_6846.jpg

Yarrow grows on long slender stalks up to 3’ tall. All I am interested in is the top 3” or so. Again, “break off” appropriately sized trees.
DCP_6848.jpg

Now that you have a whole slew of trees ready for the next step, we can look at adhesive and foliage.

Adhesive…
Quite honestly, when I was looking for spray adhesives, I picked this can because it had a picture of a model railroad on the front. How appropriate is that?
DCP_6843.jpg

Foliage…
Woodland Scenics. I used a green color but you cold use autumn colors if that was the season you were modeling.
DCP_6844.jpg

Application…
Pour the Fine Turf / Green Grass into a paper plate. I mixed a little tan in with the green for variation. Protect your hand from the spray adhesive or you will end up with fuzzy green fingers (been there, done that). As I had no gloves, I stuck my hand inside of a sandwich baggy and held the trees that way. Apply a fairly heavy coat of adhesive to the new tree. Then, rub the tree around in the foliage until the coverage meets with your approval. Take your time here as you need to be careful not to get any of the foliage onto your branches or it will look like you have green fuzzy branches (as I did on one of them because I was in a hurry). You may need to sprinkle some additional foliage on the underside or other places you did not adequately cover. If the coverage is not sufficient, spray the tree again and add some more.
Mediterranean Garden...
DCP_6852.jpg

Candy Tuft
DCP_6850.jpg

Yarrow
DCP_6853.jpg

Final results…
Mediterranean Garden
DCP_6849.jpg

Candy Tuft
DCP_6851.jpg

Yarrow
DCP_6854.jpg

I also tried all different sizes of the Candy Tuft.
DCP_6767.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TrainNut, WOW!:eeki: GREAT TUTORIAL!:thumb: , it really yielded some NICE trees:thumb::thumb::thumb: .
:deano: -Deano

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
TrainNut...

Nicely done!

For more detailed foreground trees, you can also combine bunches of candy tuft and/or yarrow for a more substantial trunk and branch structure. Of course, it's more work, but generally, you need less of these.

:thumb: :thumb:

Andrew

HoosierDaddy

Dec 2, 2004
Enemy Territory
Wow, I have yarrow and candy tuft planted in the landscaping around my house. Now if I could just get the plastic Mediterranean Garden to grow I'll be set for trees. Very nice tutorial TrainNut.

HD

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thank you kind sir. It's not everyday that someone posts an N scale tutorial, especially on a subject we all need to learn more about. I've got some of this stuff and I've got to try your process, quick, easy and cheap.:thumb: :thumb:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Great job! will definitely be trying that:thumb::thumb:
Also, I could not agree more about the price of pre-made trees:eek:.

Cheap and Easy....what could be better!:winker:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Thanks everybody for the compliments. It's always fun when the results of the experiment turn out well. I think that I am going to pick Yarrow as my favorite with Candy Tuft following close behind.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Estilbe,for softwood and sedum for hardwood.There are different kinof each and some make better trees than others,but they fit my budget so thats what I use

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Estilbe,for softwood and sedum for hardwood.There are different kinof each and some make better trees than others,but they fit my budget so thats what I use
I found Sedum in Wikipedia but I could not find any reference to Estilbe. Could it be spelled differently? I tried a few variations with no luck.