My "Space: 1889" Cicada-class light gunship

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Finally decided to make a nice paper model, Squirmydad's Space 1889 Cicada-class light gunship:

The miniature and the model.

Bow shot.

Aft shot.

Starboard shot.

There were a number of things missing from this kit: the guns(most obvious), the propeller, the liftwood slats, the gaurd ropes, and the flag mast. I don't usually scratchbuild in paper, but this ship begged for it! I'm quite proud of how it turned out. Any comments and constructive criticisms are more than welcome!

PS: I'm going to put texture on the edge of the wood areas, I just never thought about it until I looked at the pics.
  2. dhanners

dhanners Member

I love it! Great-looking build.

Maybe I missed it, but is this available somewhere for dowload?
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Yes, on the paper in Mayhem site. There are a bunch of these in gaming scale, but the Cicada class is the only large scale model.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thats a nice looking little build you got there! I totally missed this somehow the first time around....
    Chris
  5. Gearz

Gearz Member

Excellent work on the added detail MF.. I particularly like the guns ~ you've blended them onto the model perfectly.. You should offer them as a kit add-on at PinM (or to the designer..)?

My standard questions (I'm in the market for some new equipment)
    *Printer + paper + settings?
    *Camera?
  6. Gearz

Gearz Member

Excellent work on the added detail MF.. I particularly like the guns ~ you've blended them onto the model perfectly.. You should offer them as a kit add-on at PinM (or to the designer..)?

My standard questions (I'm in the market for some new equipment)
    *Printer + paper + settings?
    *Camera?
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This is fantastic! Great detail, and you are right, a little veneer strip would make it perfect. What scale is this little gem?
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This is fantastic! Great detail, and you are right, a little veneer strip would make it perfect. What scale is this little gem?
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Gearz: the gatling guns are actually toothpicks with paper strips added around the edge, so I didn't pay too much attention to how I made them. The cannon was "carved" from rolled up paper, again around a toothpick. I used a Navy-blue Sharpie to color them for that blued look. I'd be more than happy to post photo-assisted instructions for making them, if you like.

Printer: HP photosmart 8450
    Paper:110 lb cardstock(the same kind that was used for the original model)
    Settings: 350 DPI, set to print at "Fast, Normal" so I can conserve ink and still get reasonable quality.
    Camera: Sony Cybershot, 5.1 Megapixels with 3x optical zoom.

cmdrted, it's 15mm scale(a 6-foot human would be 15 mm tall at this scale). I haven't yet added the strip around the side, but I will eventually.
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Gearz: the gatling guns are actually toothpicks with paper strips added around the edge, so I didn't pay too much attention to how I made them. The cannon was "carved" from rolled up paper, again around a toothpick. I used a Navy-blue Sharpie to color them for that blued look. I'd be more than happy to post photo-assisted instructions for making them, if you like.

Printer: HP photosmart 8450
    Paper:110 lb cardstock(the same kind that was used for the original model)
    Settings: 350 DPI, set to print at "Fast, Normal" so I can conserve ink and still get reasonable quality.
    Camera: Sony Cybershot, 5.1 Megapixels with 3x optical zoom.

cmdrted, it's 15mm scale(a 6-foot human would be 15 mm tall at this scale). I haven't yet added the strip around the side, but I will eventually.
  11. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Great job. Keep up the good work. You could just use a black sharpie to bring the board edges along the sides. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
  12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Great job. Keep up the good work. You could just use a black sharpie to bring the board edges along the sides. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

I could, but the sides are supposed to be wooden, and I think putting siding on it would look better.

Note: yellow sharpie has a chemical reaction to superglue, which turns it red! just a tip for those of you who use superglue.
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

I could, but the sides are supposed to be wooden, and I think putting siding on it would look better.

Note: yellow sharpie has a chemical reaction to superglue, which turns it red! just a tip for those of you who use superglue.