My Practice Layout

markf

Just wanted to say hi. I've been lurking for awhile and working on a little practice layout in preparation for the basement wall hugger that will come in the next couple years. Lots of the stuff I see here is really good, and I can only hope to approach it.

Here's a link to a little diary I'm keeping about my experience. It's in reverse order (newest entries first), so you'll have to do a bunch of clicking to see the beginning :)

http://www.laughing-dragon.com/mfassett/trains.aspx

TR-Flyer

HI:
Looks like you're on your way! Looking forward to seeing the development of area shown in your first shot with the ravine, trestle and tunnel portal.

Regards,
Ted

RI541

Lets see here.. Diet Coke... Swiss Army knife..lots of blue foam.. tools all over, Yep your headed in the right direction alright. Looks just like my own lay-out table.

I realy like the way you "sunk" the lay-out down. thats a cool Idea. It realy give the viewer a scence of depth looking down.

Keep up the great work and keep sending pictures.

Speaking of my lay-out I should do something with it.:D :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Welcome aboard! I like those deep cuts for the track near the bridge and tunnel area. I can already imagine the scenery potential. Very neat layout and web site.
Rlaph

markf

Thanks. The deep cuts are a bit of a byproduct of the size of the table, but I like them, too. 3x4 is not much room to work in :) That big flat space in the center is going to become another hill with a lumber mill next to it (near the spur on top), so the cut should be even a bit deeper.
My next project is to build the non-existant bridge. It's curved and sloped, so I'm kinda stuck scratch building, but it ought to be fun (until I've redone it for the fourth time ;)

Clerk

Mark. You are doing a GREEAAATE job on your layout. I like the way the track circles around and crosses over itself.

I will say the the middle of you layout looks like mine except mine is cluttered all over and whenever I need something it is hide and seek.

Here is a photo of mine after the wife made me clean it up

Attachments

• %208layout%2082002.jpg
    %208layout%2082002.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 431

Drew1125

Nice work Mark!
Both the web page, and the layout!
That's a neat little track plan, & some FINE quality benchwork!

...oh...& welcome aboard, friend! :)

DaveF

I kind of liked the "spinning wheels affect" , made me think of "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can" :)

aartwmich

Great website AND layout!! I love seeing the progress, teaches me ALOT, you did a great job taking pics along the way.

Fantastic depth in a small space!! The cutout you had to make to reduce the grade will add to your sceniking for sure.

Keep the pics coming, I look forward to watching it grow! :)

jdh

markf,

great work so far!

i esp. love the hurricane proof benchwork!
how many tons can that support?

the workmanship is excellent!

keep those updates going!

markf

Thanks for the comments. My brother helped with the benchwork. Our goal was something that could withstand some serious leaning on, but could also come apart for transportation. I'm going to add some fold down plexiglass sides (to keep the cats off), and when we're done, the whole thing is going in our living room.
I wish I had more time to work on it. I get probably a weekend a month, so it's slow going. I do love coming here and seeing everybody else's work, though.