My own little world

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Hi everyone. Here is my proposed track plan. I am especially looking for lots of animation and am open to any suggestions that anyone has for improving the overall layout. I hope that all of the links work.

This is the area that I'll be modeling in. It is an 8' x 32' trailer. I am in the process of covering the windows with sheet rock, taping, painting and then scenicing the walls before I start building my bench work
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/the%20_beginning.jpg

This is a partial overall plan.
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Parent%20Directory%5cMainline%20w-City%20comp.jpg

I am modeling in HO because my dream has always been to have a layout with lots of animation, including street as well as rail traffic. I have scoured eBay for the old Johnny Lightning Thunderjet 500's because unlike their modern 1/64th scale cousins, these are true 1/87th scale vehicles. The second part of the challenge was to find cars that you would actually see on the streets of a small town and highway. No funny cars, NASCAR racers or hot rods (with possibly one or two exceptions for high school kids) on my streets. I now have a fleet of 20 or so different cars and trucks, although only 8 or 10 will actually be in motion at any one time. The rest will be parked at various places.

As you can see from the diagrams there will be three separate slot track sets. The small one uptown is independent of the other two, but the downtown streets interact with the highway traffic. All three sections will have two way traffic but the highway is slightly different. It will be in effect a long, one-way lane. Cars and trucks will travel in one direction and then enter a tunnel on either end where the two lanes split and circle around. they will then exit the tunnel traveling in the other direction. I have been toying around with delay circuits so that cars don't just enter the tunnel, zip around and come right back out. Like several model railroad design books I've read where you can visually extend the length of a tunnel by having the train stop for a short period inside, I plan to do something similar with the slots.
The reds are city streets and the blue is the highway. The green spots are intersections, four of them, two on the highway and two on city intersections, will be controlled by stoplights. The outer two intersections on the highway will have flashing yellow right-of-way lights and be controlled in the same prototypical manner, with highway traffic having the right-of-way. The lighter blue track shows the underground turnaround. The crooked marked off area at the right side of the layout is a canyon 20" deep from the main level, complete with a spectacular (I hope)waterfall, arched bridges, rapids and a viewpoint/rest stop for tourists complete with cameras.

home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Parent%20Directory%5cMainline%20w-City%20comp.jpg

The next challenge was to overcome the tendency of one car being faster than another on the same track, causing rear end collisions solved that by rigging a section of track with a sensor so that when a car goes over it, that section of track shuts down for a few seconds. If a second car is close behind the first one it will stop and let the first car get some distance ahead before it starts up again. strategically located sections of this track will enhance the overall effect. for example, one in front of the train station where someone is being dropped off or picked up. The next step was to address traffic at intersections. I designed a circuit that will operate traffic lights and stop traffic one way while allowing it to flow in the other direction. Now if I can figure out a way to get the pedestrians to cross the street with the lights. :rolleyes:
I ran some speed tests on several cars and found that the cutoff voltage was 9v. I determined that that while it worked out to a scale 60 mph, it visually didn't look too fast for street traffic. Increasing the speed on the highway by a small amount will enhance the illusion.

I have also designed a circuit for railroad crossings where the signals start early enough for highway traffic to clear the crossing, and then stopping traffic until the last car of the train goes by like it would work in the prototypical world. There has been some discussion on this circuit in the thread www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6727&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I am looking for animation of all kinds, from kids playing on swings and teeter-totters to a distant thunder storm. I am putting in either a granite or marble quarry and am trying to figure out how to animate a rail mounted crane and to have occasional blasting.

This is the underground staging area. It will be monitored by two remote control swiveling video cameras.
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Staging%20v8a%20jpg.jpg

This is the upper level dual mainlines.
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Level%203.jpg

This is the top level tourist railroad with a steam locomotive and turn-of-the-century cars.
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Level%204.jpg

This is the quarry. It is an active user of the rail lines as access to it is limited to rail and helicopter. I know that there are a lot of lines in a small space, but except for the mainlines, all of it is used at slow speeds by gondolas and a small switcher.
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Parent%20Directory%5cQuarry.jpg

Like I said, if anyone has any suggestions on additional animation or ideas in general I'd love to hear them. Just remember that I'd like to keep it as conventional as possable (limiting the UFOs, etc.) :D

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Links didnn't work. Try it again

Hi everyone. Here is my proposed track plan. I am especially looking for lots of animation and am open to any suggestions that anyone has for improving the overall layout. I hope that all of the links work.

This is the area that I'll be modeling in. It is an 8' x 32' trailer. I am in the process of covering the windows with sheet rock, taping, painting and then scenicing the walls before I start building my bench work
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/the%20_beginning.jpg

I am modeling in HO because my dream has always been to have a layout with lots of animation, including street as well as rail traffic. I have scoured eBay for the old Johnny Lightning Thunderjet 500's because unlike their modern 1/64th scale cousins, these are true 1/87th scale vehicles. The second part of the challenge was to find cars that you would actually see on the streets of a small town and highway. No funny cars, NASCAR racers or hot rods (with possibly one or two exceptions for high school kids) on my streets. I now have a fleet of 20 or so different cars and trucks, although only 8 or 10 will actually be in motion at any one time. The rest will be parked at various places.

As you can see from the diagrams there will be three separate slot track sets. The small one uptown is independent of the other two, but the downtown streets interact with the highway traffic. All three sections will have two way traffic but the highway is slightly different. It will be in effect a long, one-way lane. Cars and trucks will travel in one direction and then enter a tunnel on either end where the two lanes split and circle around. they will then exit the tunnel traveling in the other direction. I have been toying around with delay circuits so that cars don't just enter the tunnel, zip around and come right back out. Like several model railroad design books I've read where you can visually extend the length of a tunnel by having the train stop for a short period inside, I plan to do something similar with the slots.
The reds are city streets and the blue is the highway. The green spots are intersections, four of them, two on the highway and two on city intersections, will be controlled by stoplights. The outer two intersections on the highway will have flashing yellow right-of-way lights and be controlled in the same prototypical manner, with highway traffic having the right-of-way. The lighter blue track shows the underground turnaround. The crooked marked off area at the right side of the layout is a canyon 20" deep from the main level, complete with a spectacular (I hope)waterfall, arched bridges, rapids and a viewpoint/rest stop for tourists complete with cameras.

The next challenge was to overcome the tendency of one car being faster than another on the same track, causing rear end collisions solved that by rigging a section of track with a sensor so that when a car goes over it, that section of track shuts down for a few seconds. If a second car is close behind the first one it will stop and let the first car get some distance ahead before it starts up again. strategically located sections of this track will enhance the overall effect. for example, one in front of the train station where someone is being dropped off or picked up. The next step was to address traffic at intersections. I designed a circuit that will operate traffic lights and stop traffic one way while allowing it to flow in the other direction. Now if I can figure out a way to get the pedestrians to cross the street with the lights. :rolleyes:
I ran some speed tests on several cars and found that the cutoff voltage was 9v. I determined that that while it worked out to a scale 60 mph, it visually didn't look too fast for street traffic. Increasing the speed on the highway by a small amount will enhance the illusion.

I have also designed a circuit for railroad crossings where the signals start early enough for highway traffic to clear the crossing, and then stopping traffic until the last car of the train goes by like it would work in the prototypical world. There has been some discussion on this circuit in the thread www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6727&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I am looking for animation of all kinds, from kids playing on swings and teeter-totters to a distant thunder storm. I am putting in either a granite or marble quarry and am trying to figure out how to animate a rail mounted crane and to have occasional blasting.

This is the underground staging area. It will be monitored by two remote control swiveling video cameras.
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Staging%20v8a%20jpg.jpg

home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Level%203.jpg

This is the top level tourist railroad with a steam locomotive and turn-of-the-century cars.
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Level%204.jpg

This is the quarry. It is an active user of the rail lines as access to it is limited to rail and helicopter. I know that there are a lot of lines in a small space, but except for the mainlines, all of it is used at slow speeds by gondolas and a small switcher.
home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Parent%20Directory%5cQuarry.jpg

Like I said, if anyone has any suggestions on additional animation or ideas in general I'd love to hear them. Just remember that I'd like to keep it as conventional as possable (limiting the UFOs, etc.) :D

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
not as easy as it looks

http://home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/the%20_beginning.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Parent%20Directory%5cMainline%20w-City%20comp.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Parent%20Directory%5cMainline%20w-City%20comp.jpg

I have also designed a circuit for railroad crossings where the signals start early enough for highway traffic to clear the crossing, and then stopping traffic until the last car of the train goes by like it would work in the prototypical world. There has been some discussion on this circuit in the thread http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6727&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

http://home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Staging%20v8a%20jpg.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Level%203.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Layout/Level%204.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/pitch/ctr38021/Parent%20Directory%5cQuarry.jpg

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
the old fasioned way #1

Attachments

• the_beginning.jpg
    the_beginning.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 474

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
old fassioned #3

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site

I have also designed a circuit for railroad crossings where the signals start early enough for highway traffic to clear the crossing, and then stopping traffic until the last car of the train goes by like it would work in the prototypical world. There has been some discussion on this circuit in the thread http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6727&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
finally figured it out

Staging%20v8a%20jpg.jpg

Level%203.jpg

Level%204.jpg

Parent%20Directory%5cQuarry.jpg

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Tyson, e-mail me a coupla them pan fish once you get 'em fried up!

Clark, my only suggestion is to try to do it in phases so you can stop and smell the roses along the way. Work on a level, or a section and try to get it where you can run trains, then scenic it before going onto the next. And try to plan it so if you do get burned out, you can finish it by completing that level and calling it done. You may find you have enough with less than planned, or you may go on to finish the whole thing. I must admit I didn't read through the whole thread yet. Just don't have time for the two week fishing trip that follows! :D :D :D Just my 2 cents, it's your railroad. It will be exciting to watch it unfold! Please post lotsa piccy's along the way!

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
work in sections

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. jon-monon, it will be built in sections. Due to certain physical limitations it will be built from top to down and back to front.
I often refer to it as my mission to Mars, because after a rocket launches, everything has to work. Each section will be layed out, wired, sceniced and thourghly tested before the next section can be started. That is why I have spent so long designing the layout. I don't have the option of laying down a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood and then trying to figure out where I want the track to go. I figure each secction will probably be either 18' x 24" or 18" x 48". I have been studying everything I can find on connecting sections together.
The other no-no that everything I've read says to do is start small. This is my first layout, but like I said before, I have been planning this for years and dreaming it for many many more. At this point I can envision the whole thing in my sleep. But as they say, The devil is in the details. I hope to do most of it myself, but if I run into a situation that I can't handle I have several friends to call on as well as UPGUY who lives fairly close to me.
I'm just glad that I figured out how to import pictures. I will be posting more photos as things progress.

Amazing!

You mentioned rockets - how about a spaceport with a little shuttle hauled up by a thread with a butane minitorch poking out the bottom? :D

This is a wonderful concept. After years of planning it must be exciting to be at the start of construction stage. I've never heard of anyone combining slot cars interlinked with railroads along with traffic control for the added realism; this could be a first and is definitely publication material when done.

60 MPH on city streets? Happens all the time... Maybe have a police car with flashing lights in a chase?

There was a discussion on animation recently in the Small-Layout-Design forum that you might be interested in:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/small-layout-design/message/5749

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/small-layout-design/message/5767

Have fun, and may any glitches be minor. Keep us posted.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
That's quite a plan Clark. Can't wait to see it become reality.
I had slots and trains on one of my early layouts. nothing like you are planning though.
What kind of slot car track are you using? I still have a boat-load of the old Thunderjet and AFX from years ago, about 70 cars and boxes and boxes of track. (can't part with it)
I had an animated playground on my last HO layout. It had a merry-go-round with the childrens legs that moved as if they were pushing it as they were riding. A swing set (with tin seats) that was controlled from under the layout by an osolating magnet. It blew peoples minds when I'd pick up the swing-set and show them it wasn't attatched to anything, then when I put it back, the swings would start swinging again. I also had a man flying a kite. Air turbulances would make it move about.
One of these new mini TVs could be used as a drive-in theater. Hook it to a VCR and play your favorite movie. Have chase lights on the sign at the enterance and moving spotlights.
How about the road consruction signs that have the words running across them? You could animate the construction equipment and flagwomen also.
A balloon track with a continuous coal loader loading hopper cars would be neat. At the other end have a rotory unloader on a balloon track (would need couplers that rotated). The coal could be returned to the loader through a hose with air much like some sand blasters do.
People could be mounted on small tin plates and moved from below with magnets.
An opperating cable bucket system for a mining opperation or even A cable-car for sight-seeing across the gorge. Do you have room for a ski-lift?
Things like flickering neon signs and a dusk to dawn light with a problem will catch the eye.
An arc-welder flashing from a garage and garage sounds.
Sounds on those recorder chips can be used for all kinds of things from machinery running, dogs barking, owners yelling at their dogs to shut the heck up.
I could go on. (and probably will)

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Hi Ray
Right away you boggle my mind.
I had an animated playground on my last HO layout. It had a merry-go-round with the childrens legs that moved as if they were pushing it as they were riding. A swing set (with tin seats) that was controlled from under the layout by an osolating magnet.
The swing set I can see, but how in the heck did you get their legs to move??? I was thinking of simpler things like a see-saw and maybe a merry go round that they just rode on, but you are more ingenious than I am. I also had thought of a kite flier and how to do it. That wouldn't be too hard.

I don't have room for a drive-in, but I did get a Loew's movie theater that I am going to kitbash with chasing lights and the works. Walthers has something like it but they want a $100 for it. I figure it will be cheaper and more fun to do it myself. The marquee will have to be Rocky XXVII or Terminator XDII. :D

I plan to use a number of the Miller Engeneering neon light kits, from the hotel to the motel to the cafe to anywhere else I can think of using them.

I am using Tyco track on the highway since that was the easiest to get the RR crossings for, and Llifelike in the city since they had the 90 degree intersections. Also, adaptors to go from one to the other were readily available. I read in a scenery magazine about conductive paint. I plan to look into it to see if I can paint the slot rails so they don't stand out as much. The turnarounds at each end were fairly easy. I bought an old set on eBay that had the two seperate loops-the-loops. I just used the pieces that split the lanes and connected them with single lane track. Probably one of the easiest parts of the project. I do have a couple of "squeeze" tracks where only one car can get by at a time. Was thinking of using flaggers and road construction with traffic control circuits. I'll have to wait and see about that though. Seems like I just don't have enough room. :D :D

Another effect I want to use is lighting. Right now there are three double tube floresence lights in the ceiling which are fine for normal use. What I want to do is add a string of incandesent bulbs behind a valence. I found a circuit that will dim slowly to dark and then slowly lighten up to full brightness. All of the layouts illumination will be on seperate circuits run by either photo cells or photo resisters. As the lights dim the layout will start turning each set of lights on when they reach their threshold. The variations in each curcuit means that they will light up independantly of each other. I'd like to set up a 15 or 20 minute "day". It would be a special effect, not used all of the time but a way to put on a special demonstration now and then. It would also be tied in with your chip recordings of crickets and other night sounds. I had planned to use them as you said, dog barking, cat fights, etc. I need to come up with a random number generator to activate them so that they won't seem so programed.

No Ski lifts on my layout I'm afraid. It is going to be constantly summer with balmy weather, and as far as a cable-car, the tourist RR that runs along the ridge should take care of that aspect.

The most ambitious effect I am working on is a distant thunderstorm. On the north wall I would like to create one of those summer thunderstorms that seem like such a common occurance. My toughts are that once I have rounded off the corners on the 8' wall, I should have about 4' or so in the middle left. I can get a 4x8 sheet of plexiglass (expensive, but what isn't), cut it in half then paint the wall with dark grays and dark blues and mount strobe lights in routed channels of the sheetrock. Then paint more clouds on each side of the two sheets of plexiglass with some dulcoat or something similar on the final exposed surface. By firing the strobes at random times the painted plexiglass should give a 3D effect to the whole thing. I read in another thread where someone had tried something like it but couldn't get the thunder and lightning synced. I'm not worried because anyone who has experianced a T storm knows that unless you are right in the middle of it they aren't synced. I've even found some WAVs of thunder, both distant and closer. I don't know if it will work, but it would be special if it did.

People moving would be great, just haven't figured out quite how to pull that off yet. If you used magnets, how would you control them? I'm eager to hear your thoughts on that.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Clark
The moving legs were moved with a wire that was lifted by 2 ramps mounted under the merry-go-round. (see photos)
I saw a random number generaror circuit in an old MR magazine. I'll have to look for it.
Moving the magnets under the table could be done a number of ways. You could have a belt (with magnets attatched) and pulley system under the layout, having pulleys at sreet corners so the people would go around the block.
I saw a system on a large O scale layout (Oglby Park Zoo in Wheeling WV.)that used a Lionel loco and flatcar with a magnet on it that ran under the layout, to pull a steamboat up a river of real water.
The thunderstorm idea sounds cool. I suppose a large static electric arc and the science experiment that creates a rain cloud in the room would be out of the question(as well as to dangerous)

Attachments

• oct03#01.jpg
    oct03#01.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 168

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Very ingenious merry go round Ray, I'll definately keep it in mind. I like the swing idea too. Sliding down a slide would be good, just don't know how th get them back up to the top again. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Conveyor belts under the sidewalks with magnets mounted on them just might get people moving. Maybe two per sidewalk, one for each direction. Electromagnets mounted in the storefronts could pull people off the belts influence and then push them back on so you would have window shoppers.

I was thinking about the storm idea a year or so ago and came up with a neat idea, put a Tesla coil in the room. Lots of real lightning bolts. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: The only problem would be that it would fry every electrical circuit in the place, not to mention that you couldn't be in the while it was running. Maybe a glass wall?? :D :D :D :D

If I get even a tenth of this done it will be amazing. :D