My optimus build

paulhbell

I seen a few builds of Jule's optimus prime, so I thought I'd start to put some build pics up as well.

This has took up most of my modelling time lately, when I had time. Now new job= more building time.

His heads finished, body is finished, hips are finished, now working on his legs. This guy sure has big feet. I wanted to start on the legs before the arms because I wanted to see how tall he really is.

This build, when finished, is for my 5 year old nephew, he is nuts about all the transformers from the early cartoons to the new movies. I want to have him finished for christmas, I think I'm going to make a case for optimus with a clear front.

Attachments

• DSCF0189.jpg
    DSCF0189.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0190.jpg
    DSCF0190.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 18

paulhbell

Yep, I know. Seen another build that already has leds, looks good.

Might be a bit hard to go back and put them in the head now. Maybe easier to build another head.

Gepzo

Is he going to be about 4 feet tall? That looks HUGE! Is it card stock, or are you using cardboard or foam to shore it up?

paulhbell

up to his knee

I've been watching your build on face book, your doing a good job with the updates.

A bit of an update, This is up to what I assume to be his knee. I've put a metal rule behind the leg and at this stage it is 17inch/430mm high.

This guy sure has big feet.

Attachments

• DSCF0195.jpg
    DSCF0195.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 17

paulhbell

Lower leg number 1 finished. Bit of advice for anyone building this, make sure that the hinges for the ankle and knee are stronge enough to support the weight. I have filled any parts I could with shredded paper/card, better than throwing it in the recycle bin. Next up is the upper leg and the hip joint, also going to start on the other foot.

Attachments

• DSCF0196.jpg
    DSCF0196.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 14

NSCXP2005

Hi Paul,

What cardstock are you using for this model and what size will the overall model be?

In feet and inches.

Thanks

NSCXP2005

paulhbell

NSCXP2005, I've used various card for the different parts. For the head I've used 80 gsm and 120gsm card. For the body I've used 120gsm and 160gsm card. For the legs I have only used 160gsm. Most of the hollow parts are filled with shredded paper/card. As for size, not sure yet, but I've seen other people posting a finished size of 1.3M.

Nightcrawler, started this July last year(2009), thats when the head was first put up for download at http://www.paper-replika.com. Not worked on it every day though, sometimes had months away from it. Not sure how many hours I've spent on it. I do know that others have finished it though and they look better builds than mine.

Eyeonmal

Hey Paul, that is seriously amazing, you have inspired me, I think I will have to make my own hey. How do you scale up the build? Did you use Pepakura or similar program?