My old train!

N

nachoman

cool! You need some place to run it. Right now, it seems to be perched on the edge of a cliff! Hope you have no cats.

kevin

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
It's on a random piece of FlexTrack which is on my mantlepiece...I currently don't have a layout (lol) so it's just sitting there.

That locomotive is just a dinky little old ModelPower one...I also had a diesel from Life-Like but I can't find it. My Big Boy is finally getting fixed up, and it'll be running WELL soon! I CAN'T WAIT! *goes crazy from the 2 week wait* That all aside, I'm thinking about running my tracks like this in some places:

because I'm not going to be running more than one train at a time (don't have DCC and don't want it lol). Good idea, bad idea, what?

NYNH&H

Dec 11, 2006
Bad idea on those tracks. Nice train, I like the NH boxcar. The video, it, um, has like no production value. Guess you were pretty bored. :D

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Yeah. 12:00 AM + tiny digital camera + total boredom = that video.

And like I said only one train will ever be running at any one time so there is no chance of collisions. I think it'll make a nice space-saver when the biggest layout I'm being allowed is about 10X10 sign1.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Spawn of Chaos said:
It's on a random piece of FlexTrack which is on my mantlepiece...I currently don't have a layout (lol) so it's just sitting there.

That locomotive is just a dinky little old ModelPower one...I also had a diesel from Life-Like but I can't find it. My Big Boy is finally getting fixed up, and it'll be running WELL soon! I CAN'T WAIT! *goes crazy from the 2 week wait* That all aside, I'm thinking about running my tracks like this in some places:

because I'm not going to be running more than one train at a time (don't have DCC and don't want it lol). Good idea, bad idea, what?

yeah you need bigger curves for those Big boys. You can probably get away with 22 in radius, but it won't do it justice, and if you want to run that thing, plan for some big curves.

alos, i'd rethink your opinion on how many trains you want to run. one trin by itself can get boring. DCC isn't so bad once you have a real layout in the works.

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Haha, the radius of those curves doesn't matter, I'm going to go with 30 inch and bigger curves as required by the engine for decent cornering. I just posted up that pic of some old track from my ancient figure eight layout as an idea for what I was going to do with my curves on my new layout.

NYNH&H

Dec 11, 2006
Thats a BAD ideas on those corners. Looks silly, not flexible for the future. Athearn Challenger does 19.5" radius, claimed 18". Big Boy also claimed for 18". Would look stupid, but should run fine. Not sure about other brands, may require 22".

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Big Boy from Rivarossi needs 30 inch to run right. Supposedly. I'm planning on just building something small for now, so it doesn't reallly matter. Like I said, I'm only running one train. I can understand where if you have like five different locomotives all running at once it would be problem cause they'd hit, but I don't plan on that. Plus, there would be almost twenty feet (as the train would run) between those two segments of track.

Ionno. I'll just go with what I like for now.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
while 5 locomotives is a bit much, you should atleast block wire the layout and add passing sidings. It will look cool to do so anyway, and that way you do have the option of one other train. plan for the future!