My observations of the Lionel Polar Express set

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I think it a pretty good deal and at $220 I recomend it for Christams morning or at anytime of year.

It is versitle, I think, and can be operated all the year long.

The engine and tender have about the same features as any post war Berkshire.

Nice cast detail, smoke, an E unit and an air whistle. It is sort of classic that way.

The cars are the same as a set I bought a few years back from the General Mills era. I dont recall what set that was buthe tender had the wheel underneath that, filled with shot, made a chuff sound.

The coaches of the PE set, like on that set, were or are pretty well closed up. No sliding combime doors, no window or opening on the car ends, details all all moded in. Then as now it is low dollar. No place for those rubber things between cars.

So the coaches are sort of a throw back also.

Am I complaining? Not on your life.

I can use the transformer and have a bushel basket of Fast Track and now I have more.

I liked Lionel in the Fifies and in the Seventies and I like them now.

To have all the mega deatils and funtions with the rail sounds a set would be in the $600 or higher bracket. There are no clear windows with seats and people and that keeps the price down. It has silhouettes like the post war coaches.

The Polar Express set delivers what you paid for.

This, along with a good track plan, switches,and some exra track, makes a heck of an entry level layout for the new father and son or the young adult wanting to get started.

It has the Bubba seal of approval.
icon_wink.gif

I suggest if giving to children or setting it before Christmas, give them the DVD or maybe rent it to watch as you trim the tree, bake some cookies and have coco. It will be the Chritmas they will never forget.

hometop_01hd.jpg

gruggier

Nov 28, 2006
Deer Park NY
Amen, I have this set and bought the three extra cars. GREAT! My Son has a ball with it and we had a great time setting this up. I got it for $215. What a great deal.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I just finished watching the film this evening for the first time. I loved it! Not sure why I haven't seen it up to this point but glad I finally did. Charming and fun! I got a kick out of the know it all kid who identified the locomotive as a Baldwin 2-8-2. :)
Ralph

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
If anyone lives near a Fortunoff's dept. store , i saw the polar express today for $199, an unadvertised special.
I was going to get one, but im not into O-Gauge. Im sure I could have unloaded it on Ebay for an easy $250, but I can"t take advantge of fellow train enthusiasts.. Happy Holidays!!!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
My wife has been a fan of the Polar Express bokk for a long time now, so when the set came out I orered one, and she got it for Christmas 2 years ago. She was not expecting it (she didn't even reaize it was available), but she enjoys it. Last year I built a table for it, but this year we put the original loop arounf the tree -- nothing larger fits. We bought the 2 extra cars last year plus a nutcracker gateman; probably buy hot chocolate this year.
Had a disaster: cat knocked a chair over on the train! All cars derailed but only damage was a few axles knocked out, a couple of pickups dislodged, and one uncoupling thingy broken. LHS will repair when the rush lets up; might be a warranty (!) or else about $5.

Is the film showing anywhere this year? We really want to see it on the big screen again.